Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 impala 3.8Ok here it goes. Coolant is filled and air bleed out. The car does not overheat at all. The temp gauge when cold the needle is all the way down way low than it should be I'm pretty sure. Then goes up once it starts to warm I changed the temp sensor and thermostat and all still same. When I unplug the temp sensor the fans do kick on.
Why am I not overheating if the fans dont work. I havent checked relays or fuses yet.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
2001 impala 3.8Ok here it goes. Coolant is filled and air bleed out. The car does not overheat at all. The temp gauge when cold the needle is all the way down way low than it should be I'm pretty sure. Then goes up once it starts to warm I changed the temp sensor and thermostat and all still same. When I unplug the temp sensor the fans do kick on.
Why am I not overheating if the fans dont work. I havent checked relays or fuses yet.
Are you driving it? Or just idling in the driveway?

Depending on the weather - it's pretty cool this time of year - it simply may not be getting hot enough to kick on the fans. Furthermore, if you are driving it, you're pushing air thru the radiator, so that may be keeping the engine cool.

Drive it for a few miles at speed (> 55mph) then get back on surface streets and see if the fans come on.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried everything I've idled highway drove it all over. The temp needle wont get to the middle. I might take temp sensor out keep plugged on and heat it up with torch

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I tried everything I've idled highway drove it all over. The temp needle wont get to the middle. I might take temp sensor out keep plugged on and heat it up with torch
Careful with the torch - the heat of the flame can be hundreds of degrees hotter than the coolant resulting in a fried temp sensor. Try using a pan of boiling water to dip the sensor it. Use the torch on the pan. Might need to get some help - need more hands to hold everything.

As for getting the engine hotter, try cutting a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator, then drive it around the block. See if that helps. Be prepared to yank it out quickly if the temp needle climbs too high.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
239 Posts
A few things you haven't told us. Is this a new problem? What is the weather in your area, it's winter north of the equator. What temp thermostat did you put in? Does your heater work? Do you have a P0128 code or any is the cel on.

As far as fuses relay and wiring that's all good because "When I unplug the temp sensor the fans do kick on."

Seems to me you have a 19 yo car and your only problem is......it doesn't overheat.

My fans rarely turn on except summer with the a/c running.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Before you get too extreme, try to find a code reader that will read your live data. When your vehicle is not climbing in temp anymore, see what the computer is saying the temperature is at. It is possible you just have a problem with the gauge. Also, what temperature thermostat did you replace it with? If you put in a 180 deg thermostat, you might never get hot enough for the fans to kick on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its 185 I believe. Either way the car doesn't over heat. Heater works great too. I guess I'll just keep driving it and see what happens hell idk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts