Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making a left turn onto a sharp curve and I must have accelerate a bit too quickly, because my Impala drifted during the curve. Thankfully I didn't hit the curb, and I wasn't intending on drifting the car. My car also has winter tires, which should grip the road better. Has this ever happened to anyone?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Drifting is entirely possible on a tight turn in a front wheel drive. The momentum of the turn throws the light rear end around.

Expect lots of "lulz it's a front wheel drive brah, dey can't drift!".. It will come from the usual "v8 blah blah, rwd is best blah blah crowd.

To answer your question, yes, I have done this as well.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I wasn't being sarcastic.
Honestly won't a front wheel drive pull you straight or pull you out of it?
I was going on the fact of if that happens can't you just tap the gas to pull yourself out of it.

Hence me not saying its a fwd brah in my first post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
An awd or 4wd (hmm) will do that with acceleration. If you were in a fwd, in a straight line, lets say on ice and braked a bit and had the rear end start coming around you could theoretically quickly accelerate and pull it back in line, assuming you had the traction to do so.

I find accelerating MORE in a corner to counter rear end slide is more counterproductive than helpful.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was really surprised that my car drifted during the turn, because I don't drive like a maniac. I had the traction control off at the time, but with winter tires, it was really surprising. I thought drifting was only for rear wheel drive cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
I'm RWD but snow tires on a bare road do not give more traction , I can spin mine more easily.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like your Caprice Old Bones. :D

Reactions: Old Bones

·
Registered
545 Posts
you can drift a fwd car but i dont think that is the correct word for it..

And yes to answer you question if you spinning and turning in fwd it only goes straight, donest matter which way you turn the wheel..

the way he made it sound it was more of weight change on a sharp trun, usually to get the back to slide around with out the e brake is let off the gas, or apply brakes in the turn. But there is no real point in drifing a fwd truck..

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts