Impala Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
@carnau - you're fine - most people will appreciate your videos - please feel free to continue to post links to them.

@others who are complaining about someone sharing their videos with other forum members:
Regardless of whether or not you like or agree with what this user posts, he is free to post links to these videos - just like anyone else is free to post whatever they like.

I for one, appreciate *any* Impala-related material that *anyone* shares. If you don't like what he posts, then simply ignore the posts and move on. It's unbelievable though - I've never seen another user get so much criticism for simply posting links to some videos that *they* spent their own time creating and sharing - that may be useful for others. So now we're criticising people because you feel that they are not doing enough or spending more time on the forum?? Give me a break... We appreciate *ANY* and *ALL* input here. I certainly don't see any rules being broken.

As to him making money from the videos - if true, then I say GOOD FOR HIM! It's not like he's posting links to videos that are completely unrelated to Impalas and trying to make money from it (which *would* be an issue). What he's posting is completely relevant and welcome here. I wish we had more members that did as much. Whether or not he makes money for his efforts from YouTube or anyone else is irrelevant.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I guess it's a good thing your opinion doesn't matter.:eek:k3:
Then obviously neither does yours, and it would seem youre not as inclined to end the interaction as you posted.

So I'll present my protestations as facts:

You ignore GM and recognized best practice safety procedures in your videos.

You omit important/required steps in proper repiars

You omit the use of proper tools and specifications in your videos

Your videos do not provide DIY'ers the necessary information to affect safe, reliable complete and permanent repairs, nor do you make mention of this fact in the video or your posts.

Your posts and signature violate forum terms of use as your videos, channel and links are monetized and offer affiliate marketing links.

·
Registered
287 Posts
@carnau - he is free to post links to these videos - just like anyone else is free to post whatever they like.
Except for they arent.

I for one, appreciate *any* Impala-related material that *anyone* shares. If you don't like what he posts, then simply ignore the posts and move on. It's unbelievable though - I've never seen another user get so much criticism for simply posting links to some videos that *they* spent their own time creating and sharing - that may be useful for others. So now we're criticising people because you feel that they are not doing enough or spending more time on the forum?? Give me a break... We appreciate *ANY* and *ALL* input here. I certainly don't see any rules being broken.
No, Im mainly criticizing him for the type, style, and content of his videos.

As to him making money from the videos - if true, then I say GOOD FOR HIM! It's not like he's posting links to videos that are completely unrelated to Impalas and trying to make money from it (which *would* be an issue). What he's posting is completely relevant and welcome here. I wish we had more members that did as much. Whether or not he makes money for his efforts from YouTube or anyone else is irrelevant.
How does the subject matter of a members posts that are monetized/marketing links determine their relevancy or compliance with forum rules?

Ive been involved in the contribution, moderation, management and ownership of automotive forums for approaching 15 years, thinly veiled "helpful" posts concealing offsite marketing or for profit links are a huge problem for sites, perhaps to a lesser degree for a company like VerticalScope than to independent sites, but it doesnt change the fact that theres very little difference between a direct Amazon or pay-per-click link and what was posted here beside the fact that these offer "relevant" pretty picture, and "useful" content. It could in fact it would very easy to argue that these videos and links would do more to getting people to leave the site and purchase items, than an obvious spam bot message would. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Except for they arent.

No, Im mainly criticizing him for the type, style, and content of his videos.

How does the subject matter of a members posts that are monetized/marketing links determine their relevancy or compliance with forum rules?

Ive been involved in the contribution, moderation, management and ownership of automotive forums for approaching 15 years, thinly veiled "helpful" posts concealing offsite marketing or for profit links are a huge problem for sites, perhaps to a lesser degree for a company like VerticalScope than to independent sites, but it doesnt change the fact that theres very little difference between a direct Amazon or pay-per-click link and what was posted here beside the fact that these offer "relevant" pretty picture, and "useful" content. It could in fact it would very easy to argue that these videos and links would do more to getting people to leave the site and purchase items, than an obvious spam bot message would. :eek:k3:
I'm sorry you feel this way. I am just here to help. I hope that in the future you will see this and are proven wrong.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Look, it's simple. The guy makes YouTube videos regarding Impala-related repairs and he posts links to them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Plain and simple. If he makes money by people watching those videos, there is nothing wrong with that - and that is not something that we "control". If you don't like it, don't watch the videos. :)

This is the last I will be posting on the subject. You can complain all you want, it's not going to change anything as there is nothing wrong with what he is doing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Listen if he was a paid vendor of the site, he could post as many click-bait half-assed DIY repair videos, links to chinese parts, Amazon store links, sell as many fuel line magnets, aluminum intake vortex generators, headlight eyelashes, bullet hole sticker, or brake caliper covers as he wanted, and i would respect his position to do so as a vendor supporting the forum and community.

But as a member he cant:
Use the Web Site to advertise or solicit to anyone to buy or sell products or services, to cease using the Web Site, to visit another competing Web Site, or to make donations of any kind, without our express written approval.

You agree not to post or otherwise make available content that constitutes or contains "affiliate marketing," "link referral code," or "unsolicited commercial advertisement."

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Listen if he was a paid vendor of the site, he could post as many click-bait half-assed DIY repair videos, links to chinese parts, Amazon store links, sell as many fuel line magnets, aluminum intake vortex generators, headlight eyelashes, bullet hole sticker, or brake caliper covers as he wanted, and i would respect his position to do so as a vendor supporting the forum and community.

But as a member he cant:
Use the Web Site to advertise or solicit to anyone to buy or sell products or services, to cease using the Web Site, to visit another competing Web Site, or to make donations of any kind, without our express written approval.

You agree not to post or otherwise make available content that constitutes or contains "affiliate marketing," "link referral code," or "unsolicited commercial advertisement."
He's not doing *any* of that on *this* site!! He's linking to a YouTube video (YouTube is NOT a "competing" web site!). He is not soliciting anything to anyone on *this* site. I don't see any advertisements in his posts.

Hell, MANY people (including myself) post direct links to purchase items from other site - on *this* site - he's not even doing that!

Again, I don't see that he's doing anything wrong whatsoever. I've asked other moderators to comment as well (in the moderator forum), but I don't see anything that breaks any rules. We run a pretty "loose" and friendly site here. I'd argue that your posts on this subject are closer to breaking any rules than his are if you want to get technical - cussing and spamming other users. :)

We'll see what the group of moderators think - and if they agree with me, hopefully we can clean up this thread and delete all of these other USELESS posts.

Damn, and I said that I wasn't going to post anymore on the subject! :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ive only made one solitary post that wasnt a response to another members post, or a critique of the material presented in this thread. Spamming?

As for cussing, the only thing Ive typed that could remotely be construed as inappropriate or offensive language is my use of the idiom "half-assed" in post #26 . To which I shall happily choose more appropriate adult language if the moderators deem it necessary.

I anxiously await the consensus of the moderation team.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You would think we would be on the same side. lol
I agree lol.

Not that anyone cares but at first I understood where Maven was coming from but the fact that you stated the following

You are exactly right. Maybe I should have contributed more before posting the video. But you will see that I will be on here more frequently to help with further problems.

You have to start somewhere.
Led me to believe that you weren't just plastering ya video's on the site to gain views, at first it did sorta seem like you were but I wasn't sure on your intents and hell, who am I to say something LOL.

Almost seems like Maven wants to be our only GM Tech on the forums(not trying to throw shade, I'm just sayin that's what it seems like), I for one think it'd be great to have more than one of you guys around! You guys seem to know your shit when it comes to these impala's :beer:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree lol.

Not that anyone cares but at first I understood where Maven was coming from but the fact that you stated the following

Led me to believe that you weren't just plastering ya video's on the site to gain views, at first it did sorta seem like you were but I wasn't sure on your intents and hell, who am I to say something LOL.

Almost seems like Maven wants to be our only GM Tech on the forums(not trying to throw shade, I'm just sayin that's what it seems like), I for one think it'd be great to have more than one of you guys around! You guys seem to know your shit when it comes to these impala's :beer:
I agree. When I was in the Marines we had a saying. You did the easy part by telling me you were going to do it, Now do the hard part and show me.

Sop that's all I can do is attempt to show everyone I am here to stay.

I'll be out of town for the weekend but I will be back and hard at it Monday lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Personally I don't see an issue here.
I have posted links to videos on "how to" myself in an attempt to help someone fix an issue.
If someone is asking a question or having a problem with something and no one on here has first hand knowledge how to repair it or what to look for, and there is a video of someone ( anyone ) that does have knowledge, then it's better than just crickets chirping.

Yes ?
No ?

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Count me in for appreciating the video. Even if there are similar videos out there, it's always helpful in my opinion to have even a slightly different perspective or viewing angle.

In the past, for some jobs I've undertaken and looked at how to videos..... sometimes it wasn't until the second or third video that I fully understood the task at hand. Maybe I'm just slow. In any event, for us arguably slower learners, thank you to everyone who posts how to videos that are relevant to this forum and to Impalas.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts