Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised this isn't in the sticky's as many of these I have replaced. I have a graveyard of bad actuators at the dealership. lol

Here is a video I made on the actuator repair. Hope this helps someone.

https://youtu.be/tn6wqKUz5gI

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Chris, way to use the forum to get clicks on your YT channel :eek:k3:

Youre surprised your one day old video with 17 views isnt in the sticky section of a forum you have 7 posts on for a problem thats been around for a decade?

You didnt make a video on actuator repair, you made one on actuator replacement.

YT video said:
so theres actually 2 actuators in this car
Actually there are 3 or 4

YT video said:
one thing you wanna make sure you dont do is plug in the actuator before it all the way bolted down
OR....you could have advised people to remove a fuse or disconnect the negative battery cable, or even just turn off the ignition like best practices would dictate.

Think about how many helpful posts you couldve made in the amount of time it took you make that video for a topic that already has THOUSANDS of videos about it on YT. But I guess forum posts dont get you subscribers, video clicks, or amazon affiliate/store purchases. :beer:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Now i see that EVERY one of your posts has just been a simple post linking to your own videos, I wasnt digging your post before, now Im considering clicking "report post" on every one of them for violating forum rules.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Wow... He's just trying to help! You can never have *too many* videos - each video may show something other videos don't - or he may have a "trick" or two that helps make things easier.

Your post just seems a little "harsh" being that the guy spent his own time to make a video to try and help others...

And just for the record, I don't think he's asking why *his* post isn't stickied (after all, he mentioned that *in* the post he made - how could it be a "sticky" before he posted it!?) - he was just surprised that there weren't any "sticky" topics on the matter already since it's such a common issue.

Personally, I thank him for the post - and appreciate his efforts!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow... He's just trying to help! You can never have *too many* videos - each video may show something other videos don't - or he may have a "trick" or two that helps make things easier.
He didnt offer a trick, or any new information, he didnt even have all the facts straight, whether he mispoke or not, theres misinformation in his video.

And just for the record, I don't think he's asking why *his* post isn't stickied (after all, he mentioned that *in* the post he made - how could it be a "sticky" before he posted it!?) - he was just surprised that there weren't any "sticky" topics on the matter already since it's such a common issue.
I do think that, I think hes here purely for clicks. And, there actually is a sticky on the subject, in the 8th gen DIY section. Along with myriad threads already that come up with a simple search for "actuator" or "clicking"

Personally, I thank him for the post - and appreciate his efforts!
Everyone of his posts contains no information, just a link or embedded version of his own YT channel which is monetized and contains links to his affiliate Amazon product. Theres no altruism or even spirit of community or helping behind his efforts.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There's no sticky for the actuators?

Damn I think that would cut down on a lot of the threads that start with "Loud Tapping Noise from dash?" Ha.

I thought there was a sticky for it, and hey, I ran across his video for changing the transmission line fittings and thought it was pretty helpful. I now know that I got stiffed for $150 when the shop did it LOL, I could've changed those fittings myself in about an hour LOL.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Who cares if he's making money from the videos he creates?? It doesn't cost those that view and use the information one penny. The "more the merrier" as far as I'm concerned - I would rather have too many videos than not enough.

Almost no video or procedure is 100% "by the book" or error-free. Obviously, he's replaced more actuators than most of us - and he's just sharing the way that he does it, which obviously works for him.

Should we "object" to Chevy dealerships too because they make a profit from their work? Of course not! I see absolutely no problem with someone making money from the videos that they spend their time creating. If fact, I applaud him for making money from them!

I don't know - I just don't see what the problem is here... We all benefit from the video(s) - we learn and he earns! :) It's a win-win, IMO!

EDIT: By the way, I can't seem to find a sticky about the HVAC actuators - if I'm missing something, please post a link to it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Who cares if he's making money from the videos he creates?? It doesn't cost those that view and use the information one penny. The "more the merrier" as far as I'm concerned - I would rather have too many videos than not enough.

Almost no video or procedure is 100% "by the book" or error-free. Obviously, he's replaced more actuators than most of us - and he's just sharing the way that he does it, which obviously works for him.

Should we "object" to Chevy dealerships too because they make a profit from their work? Of course not! I see absolutely no problem with someone making money from the videos that they spend their time creating. If fact, I applaud him for making money from them!

I don't know - I just don't see what the problem is here... We all benefit from the video(s) - we learn and he earns! :) It's a win-win, IMO!

EDIT: By the way, I can't seem to find a sticky about the HVAC actuators - if I'm missing something, please post a link to it...
Not that I have a dog in this, but I think what he's(Maven) getting at is that he(Carnau) offers no help on a regular basis just posts his videos. Actual group interaction instead of just hit and run posting of his videos.

Maybe if instead of him throwing videos up and that's it. He actually shared his expertise with the group, like when people are having issues he can answer them to help. Actually participating in the group. I think that's what he's getting at.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
I get it - but so what if he doesn't normally otherwise participate on the forum?

He's still sharing valuable informational videos with everyone. We don't have "quotas" here where users *have* to participate. He's sharing his informational videos with others (which take a lot of time and effort to create), which is more than a LOT of other members do.

I just don't see the problem with someone posting links to their technical YouTube videos, regardless of whether or not they participate otherwise. I don't see any rules being broken and I only seeing it as being helpful for other members. It certainly isn't hurting anything or anyone! :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I get it - but so what if he doesn't normally otherwise participate on the forum?

He's still sharing valuable informational videos with everyone. We don't have "quotas" here where users *have* to participate. He's sharing his informational videos with others (which take a lot of time and effort to create), which is more than a LOT of other members do.

I just don't see the problem with someone posting links to their technical YouTube videos, regardless of whether or not they participate otherwise. I don't see any rules being broken and I only seeing it as being helpful for other members. It certainly isn't hurting anything or anyone! :)

Right, I see where you're coming from. But I can see where he's coming from as well.

As I said if he actually contributed to the community it might be a different story. But a quick Google search pulls up 19,500 videos on 'actuator replacement impala'. And that's probably included in 445,000 results of everything related to that search. So would it become a problem if everyone started linking their videos and doing nothing else on the forum? So without his video there are lots of other ones out there. And I've watched, or tried to watch his on this. But the incessant clicking that he's trying to talk over but you can't hear him defeats the purpose of his video. There are much better ones out there on it, and none of them have spammed the forum.

And while you might not see any rule violation, what you're doing is setting precedent so if everyone started just posting video links with no forum interaction that it would be okay to do. Do it for one, you have to do it for everyone. Sucks really. And while I respect you, I have to disagree with you on this issue.

As for the 'he's doing more then most'. I don't agree with that. Sure how much time does it take to throw a video together? Not much compared to going through the threads, helping those who need it. Maybe if he was more engaged in the forum, but he's not. 7 videos is nothing in the grand scheme of things around here. Especially when we all have the ability to search videos without this site. We come here for help, conversation and actual engagement when it comes to problems. What we don't come here for is hit and run posts linking to videos because actually engaging the group would be to hard.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :) I don't mind *anyone* coming and posting a video that is relevant to Impalas! This video will probably be useful to someone in the future. I think it takes considerable effort to put together an instructional video like this (harder than most think) - and I for one am glad for his efforts (just like someone above found one of his other videos useful).

I think that there are WAY more members that don't post *anything* - just use the information on this site if/when needed - at least he is linking to some useful information - which is more than most people do.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and hope more people do it! I just can't see what the problem is. If you find it useful, great. If not, then ignore it.

I would not consider this "spam" in any way, shape or form...

·
Registered
201 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :) I don't mind *anyone* coming and posting a video that is relevant to Impalas! This video will probably be useful to someone in the future. I think it takes considerable effort to put together an instructional video like this (harder than most think) - and I for one am glad for his efforts (just like someone above found one of his other videos useful).

I think that there are WAY more members that don't post *anything* - just use the information on this site if/when needed - at least he is linking to some useful information - which is more than most people do.

Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and hope more people do it! I just can't see what the problem is. If you find it useful, great. If not, then ignore it.

No worries.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Chris, way to use the forum to get clicks on your YT channel :eek:k3:

Youre surprised your one day old video with 17 views isnt in the sticky section of a forum you have 7 posts on for a problem thats been around for a decade?

You didnt make a video on actuator repair, you made one on actuator replacement.

Actually there are 3 or 4

OR....you could have advised people to remove a fuse or disconnect the negative battery cable, or even just turn off the ignition like best practices would dictate.

Think about how many helpful posts you couldve made in the amount of time it took you make that video for a topic that already has THOUSANDS of videos about it on YT. But I guess forum posts dont get you subscribers, video clicks, or amazon affiliate/store purchases. :beer:
No, I am surprised that there isn't any video on it. Not my video in general. Just any video in the stickies is what I was speaking of.

There are 3 actuators like this actually. There is a mode actuator that is completely different. Also... There are 2 actuators in the car on the passenger side which I was referring to.

Removing the fuse or the battery cable would get the actuator to stop making noise and also not let it to continue working.

Forgive me for trying to help someone by making a video to show them how to replace their faulty actuator.

As far as the number of posts I have posted I just joined this forum in attempts to help people. You started with multiple posts I assume.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that I have a dog in this, but I think what he's(Maven) getting at is that he(Carnau) offers no help on a regular basis just posts his videos. Actual group interaction instead of just hit and run posting of his videos.

Maybe if instead of him throwing videos up and that's it. He actually shared his expertise with the group, like when people are having issues he can answer them to help. Actually participating in the group. I think that's what he's getting at.
You are correct. I am new and I normally stick to the GM Trucks forum because that's what I really enjoy doing. But I added this forum to my favorites in order to visit here more often and help.

I have been in a dealership working as a tech for the last 17 year. I have been working on vehicles my whole life.

I have access to schematics and diagrams. I have loads of experience. Maybe I should have posted on here more before posting a video. I just assumed maybe it could help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks, And I will be on here more to help if I can offer it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, I see where you're coming from. But I can see where he's coming from as well.

As I said if he actually contributed to the community it might be a different story. But a quick Google search pulls up 19,500 videos on 'actuator replacement impala'. And that's probably included in 445,000 results of everything related to that search. So would it become a problem if everyone started linking their videos and doing nothing else on the forum? So without his video there are lots of other ones out there. And I've watched, or tried to watch his on this. But the incessant clicking that he's trying to talk over but you can't hear him defeats the purpose of his video. There are much better ones out there on it, and none of them have spammed the forum.

And while you might not see any rule violation, what you're doing is setting precedent so if everyone started just posting video links with no forum interaction that it would be okay to do. Do it for one, you have to do it for everyone. Sucks really. And while I respect you, I have to disagree with you on this issue.

As for the 'he's doing more then most'. I don't agree with that. Sure how much time does it take to throw a video together? Not much compared to going through the threads, helping those who need it. Maybe if he was more engaged in the forum, but he's not. 7 videos is nothing in the grand scheme of things around here. Especially when we all have the ability to search videos without this site. We come here for help, conversation and actual engagement when it comes to problems. What we don't come here for is hit and run posts linking to videos because actually engaging the group would be to hard.
You are exactly right. Maybe I should have contributed more before posting the video. But you will see that I will be on here more frequently to help with further problems.

You have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No, I am surprised that there isn't any video on it. Not my video in general. Just any video in the stickies is what I was speaking of.
Okay, my own comments easily misconstrued I admit, but my point was your entire reason for posting today was to promote your own video/channel/affiliation.

Removing the fuse or the battery cable would get the actuator to stop making noise and also not let it to continue working.
Obviously...? It also would avoid the possibility of the new one inadvertently moving while being installed if plugged in before screwed in place.

Forgive me for trying to help someone by making a video to show them how to replace their faulty actuator.
You make videos to make money. You posted this here because it was your newest content. Your videos skim over all procedures in edited fashion, make no mention of any safety practices, often show unsafe or improper procedures, you seem to never make mention of the use of any lubricants, locking compounds, torque specs, replacing of one time use fasteners or additional off camera steps that are required for a complete, proper, permanent, quality repair. You not only don't mention these things, you dont even show that you are performing these operations during your repair. I haven't seen a single new fastener, drop of loctite, dab of grease, torque spec, torque wrench, cleaning of mating surfaces, or even any attempt to illustrate any potential complexity a job may entail. Your videos serve to make every job seem quick, easy and low skill. They reduce the value of the effort and pride a quality mechanic puts into their work and diminishes what it takes to properly diagnose and repair vehicles.

As far as the number of posts I have posted I just joined this forum in attempts to help people. You started with multiple posts I assume.
You joined nearly a year ago, and you made it to more than two actual posts without videos in them just today. We both started at zero, difference is I'm not here to profit off the community or those I help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, my own comments easily misconstrued I admit, but my point was your entire reason for posting today was to promote your own video/channel/affiliation.

Obviously...? It also would avoid the possibility of the new one inadvertently moving while being installed if plugged in before screwed in place.

You make videos to make money. You posted this here because it was your newest content. Your videos skim over all procedures in edited fashion, make no mention of any safety practices, often show unsafe or improper procedures, you seem to never make mention of the use of any lubricants, locking compounds, torque specs, replacing of one time use fasteners or additional off camera steps that are required for a complete, proper, permanent, quality repair. You not only don't mention these things, you dont even show that you are performing these operations during your repair. I haven't seen a single new fastener, drop of loctite, dab of grease, torque spec, torque wrench, cleaning of mating surfaces, or even any attempt to illustrate any potential complexity a job may entail. Your videos serve to make every job seem quick, easy and low skill. They reduce the value of the effort and pride a quality mechanic puts into their work and diminishes what it takes to properly diagnose and repair vehicles.

You joined nearly a year ago, and you made it to more than two actual posts without videos in them just today. We both started at zero, difference is I'm not here to profit off the community or those I help.
I'll Just agree to disagree. I'm not here to have an internet argument with you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'll Just agree to disagree. I'm not here to have an internet argument with you.
You cant agree to disagree with me...first that requires me to tolerate your assertion that youre here to help. I dont believe thats true.

Secondly I doubt anything Ive said can be refuted regarding my distaste for the way you have conducted your previous interactions with the forum, your violation of forum terms of use, or my scrutiny of your videos. You present yourself as a Master Certified technician, an educator and someone just here to help people. Your posts and content undeniably say otherwise.

Lets agree this is my opinion and you have yours. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You cant agree to disagree with me...first that requires me to tolerate your assertion that youre here to help. I dont believe thats true.

Secondly I doubt anything Ive said can be refuted regarding my distaste for the way you have conducted your previous interactions with the forum, your violation of forum terms of use, or my scrutiny of your videos. You present yourself as a Master Certified technician, an educator and someone just here to help people. Your posts and content undeniably say otherwise.

Lets agree this is my opinion and you have yours. :eek:k3:
I guess it's a good thing your opinion doesn't matter.:eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts