Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impalas of 2001-2003 vintage have a recognized problem of randomly not starting. That is, turning the key lights the dash lights, but nothing else happens. Leaving the car alone for a period of from 10 minutes to 30 minutes sometimes solves the problem, as does twisting the steering wheel while holding the ignition key to "Start." I've seen lot's of speculation (mostly involving after-market security systems) but no real answers. As far as I know, mine does not have an after-market security system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ignition switches are common failures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
security light issue

Impalas of 2001-2003 vintage have a recognized problem of randomly not starting. That is, turning the key lights the dash lights, but nothing else happens. Leaving the car alone for a period of from 10 minutes to 30 minutes sometimes solves the problem, as does twisting the steering wheel while holding the ignition key to "Start." I've seen lot's of speculation (mostly involving after-market security systems) but no real answers. As far as I know, mine does not have an after-market security system.
i've been a victim of the "SECURITY LIGHT BANDIT"a GM dealer is the only shop that can solve this problem it costs about $500.00 plus tax the ignition & key has to be replaced & the entire security system has to be reprogrammed this problem is common on GM vehicles 92-05 & really needs to be recalled

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ignition switches and lock cylinders are common problems, and you don't have to go to the dealer. A good shop would know how to fix it. But the parts have to come from the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts