Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I need some help. My friend has a 02 Impala. The Ignition (key) switch went bad. Bought a new switch that has the Passlock in it. I installed the switch and it still won't start. I try to program the system for the programming on line. The security light flashes 3 times. Can any of you guys help me out on this issue?
I dont have a code reader.

Thank You

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Did you replace the key cylinder as well? The cylinder has a passlock sensor in it and can fail as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You need to relearn the Passlock sensor data code. Since you do not have a tech2 and a techline terminal you cannot do the 10 Minute learn procedure. Below is the 30 Minute Learn Procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ If this does not work: Clean the key cylinder using electrical cleaner, fine brush, or compressed air. Also get a second key made. Sometimes a worn key and dirty cylinder can cause the key to NOT depress the passlock switch at the end of the cylinder. Is there any sloppy play in the key cylinder? If none of the above works either the key cylinder or bcm (body control module) needs to be replaced. If you replace the key cylinder, try the relearn once again. If nothing, bring to dealer and have them replace the bcm. A replacement bcm needs reprogramming so, you might as well just have them replace it whether you buy the bcm from them or supply it to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
stupid passlock

I've recently put a new motor into my 2002 impala ls with 3800. before the engine swap i was already beginning to have problems with this security system not letting my car start occasionally. after the motor was put it it started one time without problem turned it off hasn't started since. I've done the resister bypass on the little yellow wire. I've replace the electronic part of the ignition, have not replaced the lock cylinder. I've done the relearn on it a million times, still continues to lock me out. won't even turn the car over. someone please tell me what to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to relearn the Passlock sensor data code. Since you do not have a tech2 and a techline terminal you cannot do the 10 Minute learn procedure. Below is the 30 Minute Learn Procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
What if my security taletail us not going off in 10 mins

·
Registered
653 Posts
What if my security taletail us not going off in 10 mins
If you're security light doesn't go off, wait a minute or two longer. The computer is picky it's got to be 10 minutes down to the nanosecond to count, as a result I usually wait 11 minutes just to make sure it takes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're security light doesn't go off, wait a minute or two longer. The computer is picky it's got to be 10 minutes down to the nanosecond to count, as a result I usually wait 11 minutes just to make sure it takes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Ive also notice tgat when its turned off the running lights stay on and the radio could i need a new ignition switch not just the lock
cylinder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still mo start ive left the key on for over 30 mins and security light stays on and when i turn key all the way back the tail lights radio and. Front amber lights stay on they will not go off and my power windows are not working ive checked all the fuses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts