Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the drive through at BK today, and found my car overheating. The needle was just barely hitting the red line on the temp gauge (Z28 cluster.)

But when I started driving, it went down to an ok temperature.

What gives? Is the fan dead? No SES light was triggered though.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sound's like your primary fan is gone. The secondary won't come on until JUST before the red mark. Let it idle in your driveway with the hood up and see what's going on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Un plug the temp sensor on the water pump, and start the car. Both fans should run since it will now be in limp mode.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the sensor unplugged, only the driver side fan kicked on, the passenger side fan did not.

Both spin freely by hand, so nothing is blocking them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Best case, you blew a fuse, or burned a relay. Worst case, you melted the relay holder/wires. Could be a bad fan motor as well. The fuses and relays are under the hood in the rear corner of the pass side. Pull the cover, and it should have them all labeled. Swapped the fuse, start, if that doesn't work, steal the relay from the other fan, and swap it. Check the terminals under the relay when you pull them out. On two of my cars, they looked rather melted. There was a TSB to put the relay outside of the fuse box to fix this.

If swapping the relay doesn't do it, then leave the sensor un plugged, and use a volt meter to check you are getting power at the relay, and then the fan wiring.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swapping relay and fuses didn't work still only the driver side fan kicked on, but not the passenger fan.

I took a PTO from work for tomorrow to try and work on it. I didn't get to check, but does turning on the AC force both fans to normally come on? Because if I can't figure it out yet, I could probably just drive with the AC on to help bring the temp down. I did when coming home from work and it didn't go past half on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually experience the sam problem while at a drive thru or in dead stop traffic. Turning on the heater/ac usually brings it back to normal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, but for me the passenger fan never turns, and from what i see, that's the primary fan, as it never even attempts to cool.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What pins on the relay socket should I be testing for power? I just want to make sure I probe the correct ones.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Swapping relay and fuses didn't work still only the driver side fan kicked on, but not the passenger fan.

I took a PTO from work for tomorrow to try and work on it. I didn't get to check, but does turning on the AC force both fans to normally come on? Because if I can't figure it out yet, I could probably just drive with the AC on to help bring the temp down. I did when coming home from work and it didn't go past half on the temp gauge.

You were forcing the secondary fan on. Normally the primary takes care of the A/C head pressure without an issue, but if it's not working, the drivers side fan will kick in, and step up to the plate. The relay is a standard Bosch/ VW relay. Look up the pins on it, nd you should be good to go. on the reading.

The water pump sensor unplugged will FORCE both fans to run.. If one or both doesn't, no other PCM command will make them run, such as the A/C.

A fuse & relay sway that ends up in the same situation, suggests a burnt wiring at the fuse box, or a burned out fan motor. Both of which, are known to happen every now and then. Check power at the fan motors. The wire colors should be rather straight forward.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Buy a new fan motor, about $40 buck at AZ.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm so glad we can get fan motors like this on the cheap. I had this issue on a customers Neon. Had to get a whole fan/shroud assy for stupid cash.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I checked it this morning. The motor DOES get power and ground, so it would appear it's just the motor. No melting in the relay box either, perfect condition..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crap, the replacement fan motor does NOT fit into the assembly. It's too big.

Now I need to get a ride for my step brother back to autozone, to get this resolved.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for tripple posting, but I don't have an edit button.

I just wanted to thank you guys for your help, I was able to get a motor from Advance that actually fit. I had to return it right away though as the "roll pin" broke causing it to spin freely despite the shaft not turning, and had to get it replaced ALREADY, but they had another, and they were able to get the fan motor on without damage, and now I have a fan on my radiator again..

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds like the first motor you got was actually a secondary fan(driver side) for the cars that had the Towing Package, or the Fleetwood. Those motors are a higher amp rating, and slightly bigger.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought about that, but it said "Without Heavy Duty Package" which infers to me it's not.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You call that a leaking LT1? :lol:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, considering I go through 2 quarts of oil every month.

Could it be that much worse?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts