Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right not the best feeling but for cheap headlights i guess one can expect nothing less.. even the sheet that came with the eage eyes ccfl mentions that humidity is part of it... but when it stays -20c all day long you really notice it.. i will be parking tomorrow in heated garage all day so lets see if the ice melts away and seeps out of the holes it has for this very purpose.

But can humidity harm the lens/bulbs ?

Nice artwork though i have to say nature has to present. :hope: my frozen limbs have other thoughts on that though..

Attachments

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to reseal them after the moisture is out completely.
Reseal with what ? Any preferred compound ? Silicone base glue ?

Moist. might remain till we see summer season though :(

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
id make them send you new ones

mine dont have that problem at all
I sure am going to bug them about it but waiting for the 3 days to pass as per the little manual it came with going to check on it again in a few and see if anything melted.

this is the thing it came with..

Attachments

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ not funny!!!! LOL

Thats why I hate aftermarket headlights, no matter how much u pay, they always do that!
sucks huh ? Well i might seal it all up even though the manual it comes with tells you why there are holes in the back and how moisture helps the headlight i guess, but seems like bunch of lame mumbo jumbo to me.. did not notice anything when i went downstairs to check on it.. not even a droplet anywhere inside the housing so it must be happening when driving. but it suks cause we get maybe 4 to 5 months of above 0 temperatures.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
test it out. Seal off the headlight and then submerge it in water....then u'll find the leak!!!
LoL do what ? submerge in water.. :eek:k3:

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just the headlight eh.....not the whole car!!!
But what about all the circuits in the back and the inverter thingy it will get ruined for sure in water.

Does this make sense ? The response from the seller. How am i going to find room temperature for the car unless i take the headlights inside the house ? If i am taking it inside the house and taking it apart what is the best way to get rid of existing moisture if i can see any, i do have a hair dryer on me i can use but dont want to ruin these with too much heat. So what is the best way to get it sealed up and do these headlights need room to breathe or can i get vacuum inside and seal it up and lights will be fine under vacuum settings ?

"Thank you for contacting us, try unplug all light bulbs from housing and run the engine from few mins, do this under room temperature, then put everything back on, make sure all sockets are tighten, see if the problem still occurs. All headlights housing are made of plastic now, which allows moisture to diffuse through them. When the plastics become warm, they give off moisture (not just inward but also outward). The lens of the ellipsoid principle headlights in heated in the middle by bulbs and CCFLs, whereas the outer part of the lens is virtually at the ambient temperature due to the cooling effect of airflow. This can lead to condensation forming on the cold parts of the lens. For this very reason, headlights are not completely airtight. If it clears up after few hrs, it is normal, especial during winter, but if the moisture states in housing all the time, it needs to be exchange. Give it a try and see if it corrects :) "

·
Registered
145 Posts
Their answer makes some sense, but in order not to have a moisture problem they have to be air-tight!!!!

The only other way would be to drill more holes at the back of the headlight for more airflow! Thats what we had to do for the aftermarket heads a buddy of mine got for his I-rock!

I've noticed that only aftermarket headlights do this...mainly because their made very cheap. Thats why i've stopped spending money on them unless I lived where the weather is relativelly dry and warm.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing is by morning the moisture disappears even though it was all iced up and outside temp was -30 all night so not sure how the ice disappeared by morning, car was plugged in but i doubt the heater heated the headlights.

Still confused as to where its coming from but i might have to put seal around it all and on the mesh covering the holes in the back. Being air tight should not cause headlights to explode now would it or burn them out ?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts