6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 2000 impala ls with a factory amp

i wanna replace the.....
front speakers with Infinity Reference 6022si 6.5"
back speakers with Alpine SPR-69C 6X9
radio with a JVC KD-R600
and an Alpine SWR-1242 12" Subwoofer

1. the 6x9's reach a RMS peak of 100watts, will i need a new amp or will the stock amp be good enough to power it?

2. can i hook up the sub and 6x9's to the factory amp, and if not how many/ what type of amp(s) do i need?

3. will 2 amps blow/drain my battery fast?

4. will my overhead monitor that displays temperature, miles per gallon, and compass still work with the new radio?

5. whats a Capicitor and do i need one in my setup?

6. will a Scosche BBGM02AB wiring harness work with my radio?

THX in advance

·
Registered
371 Posts
ok I have a 2000 impala ls with a factory amp

i wanna replace the.....
front speakers with Infinity Reference 6022si 6.5"
back speakers with Alpine SPR-69C 6X9
radio with a JVC KD-R600
and an Alpine SWR-1242 12" Subwoofer

1. the 6x9's reach a RMS peak of 100watts, will i need a new amp or will the stock amp be good enough to power it?

2. can i hook up the sub and 6x9's to the factory amp, and if not how many/ what type of amp(s) do i need?

3. will 2 amps blow/drain my battery fast?

4. will my overhead monitor that displays temperature, miles per gallon, and compass still work with the new radio?

5. whats a Capicitor and do i need one in my setup?

6. will a Scosche BBGM02AB wiring harness work with my radio?

THX in advance
Those factory head/amps are made to go with each other and that's it. Proprietary wiring is a bitch! And that amp probably (I don't know for sure) are common ground speakers so it's likely unusable anyway.

What I would do (and this is just my opinion, so treat it as such) is to hook up your fronts to the head unit and get one 4-channel amp. Hook up your 6x9's to the front of the amp and bridge the rear for your sub. For sure get an amp with internal crossovers.

You don't need a stiffening cap for just this. Caps really are useful when you're running 2kW of power or more. (3 or more powerful subs)

Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would do pretty much the same but I would use the 4 ch amp for front and rear mids and highs then run a mono sub amp to my sub and buy a dvc sub for sure if you are only gonna run one sub. If you only use one amp and do the bridge thing hook the amp to your front speakers always want more power to you front mids and highs then the read you don't ride in the back mate lol. Also what i have found with mine is that if you block the driver side speaker with your leg it blocks a lot of sound so kick panels are next in mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK! So I gotta hook up the back speakers (two 6x9's) and my one 12" Alpine SWR-1242D to one 4-channel amp.

The 6x9's go into the front of the amp and the sub is at the rear [while set in "bridge" mode],but I got one concern. My sub [Alpine SWR-1242D] needs 200-500 watts to function, does this mean I have to find amp that runs at least 200 watts in "bridge" mode? :confused:

will an Alpine MRP-F600 do?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you use that amp (and it should work just fine) you'll get 100W rms to each 6x9 and 300W rms to your sub, provided it's a 4ohm sub. That should feed your need for bass until you can afford an upgrade!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you use that amp (and it should work just fine) you'll get 100W rms to each 6x9 and 300W rms to your sub, provided it's a 4ohm sub. That should feed your need for bass until you can afford an upgrade!
the sub is 4 ohms.....

i just PRAY TO GOD that it'll provide enough booming bass, but not so much that'll rattle my trunk wildly. I just want to be able to hear big bass without my car shaking, which i hope two 100watts 6x9's and one 300w Sub will provide. I'm not a huge audiophile but I don't want a BS system.

As always leave me your tips or opinions and thank you guys for your quick responses:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
systems are cheap look on craigslist my first system ( box ) was 2 15 inch kicker comp cvrs that i bought from a kid for $150!!!!!! it was a steal they were pretty ,much brand new, anyways what im saying is that subwoofers are really cheap and usually u could barter 1 amp for another if u reallly tried w/ little or no cash!!!! they might want what u have and trade...:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts