Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just posting to see if anyone has or knows how to make my 2005 chevy impala ss 4 door sedan into a convertible. i've only owned convertibles but i like this car so much i bought it even though it was not. if anyone can help or give me suggestions on making this happen please do. my screen name and e-mail should be in the profile and i'll be checking this as well
thanks
alex

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If you chose to do that it will be a permanent topless car. The under body will have to be stiffened, the B-pillars caped and stiffened as well. A body shop and probably and upholstery shop will have to fix the back window area to look presentable.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's way easier to run it under a tractor trailer or something, and it works like a charm in the movies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Converting a car into a convertible is expensive...it'd be cheaper to buy another convertible and keep the impala on the side probably lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
haha

lol @white's post and thanks 77 the permanent topless thing wouldn't be an issue and when i figure out what the rest means i'll look into it lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The roof is part of the stiffening safety design, when you remove it the body is not as stiff. The body could fold up (bend in the center) once the roof is cut off of the body of the car. All convertibles are heavier than their counter part models. Two reasons, 1 to keep it more stable (less likely to roll over in an accident), 2 to be able to support its own weight with out the overhead structure support.

The B-pillar is the thing that hinges the back doors and helps keep the front doors closed. The roof helps brace it. With out the roof it could be wobbly, which is not a good thing when you are driving around high speed turns.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin:so these guys havent been to supportive if you have the money somen can make it a convertible for you,..... i thought it was impossible to until i saw a convertible 4 door charger buy a special comp that does conv convesions, although im not saying its a sure thing on tha impala POST PICS IF IT HAPPENS LOL !!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The roof is part of the stiffening safety design, when you remove it the body is not as stiff. The body could fold up (bend in the center) once the roof is cut off of the body of the car. All convertibles are heavier than their counter part models. Two reasons, 1 to keep it more stable (less likely to roll over in an accident), 2 to be able to support its own weight with out the overhead structure support.

The B-pillar is the thing that hinges the back doors and helps keep the front doors closed. The roof helps brace it. With out the roof it could be wobbly, which is not a good thing when you are driving around high speed turns.
X2. on these particular impalas, the roof actually gives a lot of the rigidity and stability to the car. you cannot cut the roof of and expect to keep the car intact. a unibody is just not made for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
these guys are right but dont let it stop you.

double up/re-inforce EVERYWHERE.
put a hidden lower roll cage to tighten up and provide more stability.
get your hack saw.
go to any auto supply place to buy a convertible boot cover.

Problem solved :)

Remember too cut your B-Pillar FLUSH the taper it inward. Get some sheetmetal, oxy-acet weld in place.

Dont exceed 40miles an hour. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts