Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...nice rumbleing sound? what do i do. i want a gmc or chevy 2 or 4 wheel drive auto or manual trany 94 to 98 1500 pick up. do i get the 305 or 350 and modify it. if so what should i do or change. or would it be cheaper to put a crate engine in. would it be better auto or manual transmission. is one able to handle the power better than the other. how much hp and torque do i need and what is more important. more hp or more torque. i know basic mechanics but i dont know if this is even possible with a pick up. please help so i dont buy the wrong thing

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
ok first if modding any chevy DO NOT BUY A 305 THEY ARE SHIT !!!!
second ive had a couple if the trucks u talk about i would def look into crate motors and the 700r4 would be the trans i think i would go w/ (someone might chime in on that ) our lt1 trans are shit unless u get them built bye a performance shop or straight trans shop....... thats all i got for right now any other questions???:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin: o and if ur gna be doing burnouts and dont live in colorado or somewhere with hella snow def stick w the 2 wheel drive...... and w the two wheel drive truck comes AIR BAGGS MY FAVORITE MOD !!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: ( FLASHBACK TO MINI TRUCKIN SCENE ):biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't go for a 4L60E...which is the standard auto tranny in the half tons i believe. I know it's whats in my truck and is made of tin alloys. The 4L80 is a much stronger tranny but is significantly heavier...700R4 is most likely the way to go. If you want fast, get a 2 wheel drive...they're a lot lighter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My biggest rival at the 1/8th mile track was a camaro.
I smoked mustang gt's on a regular basis with my 4dr 2wd Yukon.
It's very possible,and not too hard really.
Your not gonna smoke really heavily modified rides with out some heavy mods of your own though.

Do you want to stick with bolt ons or can you cam it?

Your biggest problem holding you back with that truck is the fuel injection. Maxing out pressure etc.. it can only support 395 crank hp and the PCM is not mechanically able to exceed 6k rpm.

You have to go to a custom injection if you wanna get serious. I've went with a carb manifold machined for injectors with LS6 PCM,MAF,TB etc..(in building process now)

I was smoking mustangs though with bolt-on's,gears,tune and some other small stuff.

You can get as deep into these trucks as you can any other vehicle.
If you seriously want to make power with the vortec's go to this forum,it's pretty private and based entirely around those trucks and the newer ones to some extent.
www.pacificp.com/forum

This forum is where the LS6 PCM swap was concieved and brought to life,along with numerous other mods including the marine intake swap for these.

Join and do alot of searching,let me know if you need any help.
Here's a vid of my truck smoking a cummin's turbodiesel at the 1/8th mile.
And that's with A/C,full stereo + huge sub box and 20" wheels and just a few bolt on's/75hp n20 and my own custom tune.
And a pic of my favorite yukon from the forum-Like I said you can make some power with these.

HP is a measurement of torque-HP means nothing,torque means everything.
4l60e has gotta go if you plan to make any power-4l80 is where it's at.
Don't do burnout's in a 4L60E,if you shift to 2nd and catch traction then your done-it won't pop right then but they can't handle it.
Go with auto-programming can be modified to shift better than any manual.
Go 350 of course-There is a 383HT gm crate engine that will drop right in to these trucks(see part on injection though,you won't realize full potential till you upgrade it)
If you don't need it,don't get 4wd. More weight,less gas mileage.
My current build is a 2dr 4wd convertible-I am converting to full coilover AWD though specifically or I would have the 4wd.

·
Registered
64 Posts
nope,didn't notice the beginning date.
I look at the "New Posts" list and saw the thread so...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yea now i wish i wouldnt of sold my 2wd suburban , although it was a 93 w/o the vortec easy enough upgrade , gotta love the room for subwoofers:biggrin: i had some 15's of course...., sick picture of the yukon:eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That yukon doing the wheelie had the GM HT383 crate engine,LS6 PCM,Marine intake swap and Whipple supercharger with a one-off custom built intercooler.
Don't think it had the PCM swap and intercooler when it made the wheelie IIRC.

It was his daily driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts