Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Connectors? In 1977 (and through 1981) GM starting adding two orange rectangular blocks called the Diagnostic Test Connectors. These were designed to allow the technician to do up to 35 different tests on the engine and climate control systems, and sped up the troubleshooting process, using a DVM and/or jumper wires to test the electrical system such as "does the starter have power at this point" which would help say if the starter motor was bad or if you had a bad wire connection before the starter. Same could be done with the heater motor and AC compressor. I would like to find and get a copy of these tests for my own vehicle, a 1977 Chevy Impala. The one's who can answer my question are the ones who were GM Technicians or worked with them in the late 1970's through about 1981 or so, or who have used these connectors themselves, for they are the ones who will be familiar with these Orange Diagnostic Test Connectors.
Ok This car does not have a computer! These connectors were used for testing before 1982 which is the first year of the computer controled engine! You dont use a computer to test through this type of conector. You use either a Volt Ohm Meter and/or a jumper wire. Now there was a test box with wires that could be used by those who had them but they were not computers either. You do not get codes from this car through the connectors. It tests only the ELECTRICAL SYSTEM NOT a computer!

H

·
0 Posts
they were called "aldl" when they first came out -assembly line diagnostic link. factories used them first to ensure car checked out okay. all i ever used them for back in the late 70's and early 80's was to retreive flash trouble codes....never used it for any of that other stuff you said it did....they weren't that sophisticated with computers yet. there wasn't even enough wires coming out to do all those functions you claim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts