Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into something that will make the tranny more responsive. So far the only mods that does that are tunes to the cars electronic system.

Overkill tune - $500

Trifeca tune -$350

My impala is 100% stock and I don’t plan on any other mods. Anyone else have more info on these tunes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi;
have you tried manually shifting.
also turn off the Grannys and see how it feels (traction control and stability)
if the shifts are not snappy in a manual shift some thing may be a miss.

question, does it feel like your stepping on a wet sponge to make it accelerate?

Gregg

·
Registered
894 Posts
have you been coasting on the highway they needed to smash it to merge or get out of the way....nothing!! it's the most helpless feeling in the world. you just pray it kicks in in time lol. even backfires sometime. we are not in control of our transmission!

does that even with the new one i put in 10K ago. its in the programming i guess

·
Registered
484 Posts
A Tune will not address the issue. Everyone here has the same issue and GM says it's normal. It's annoying for sure
The only issue I have with the trans is the searching of gears when it starts downshifting, otherwise it is very responsive with the Trifecta tune.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
No problems with our car. I've floored it on the highway and it responds fine. Maybe we got lucky.

·
Registered
894 Posts
No problems with our car. I've floored it on the highway and it responds fine. Maybe we got lucky.
try 'coasting' on the highway for a bit...then get on it. i cannot reproduce it every time. but it's definitely one of the instances where the 'nothing' happens. thankfully extremely rare but scary as H when does happen and you need it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'll try it if I can remember to.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I honestly think this issue mainly comes down to driving styles... For example, I *never* have to "floor it" on the highway (or anywhere else for that matter). I don't try to move into other lanes unless I know I have plenty of time to do so, *without* "flooring it"... :)

When I do "get on it" on the highway, my 2012 moves as requested. I've never had the backfire issue that some talk about and I never have the "searching for gears" issue that some talk about when getting on the throttle.

Maybe it's just becuase I don't have to "floor it" or "get on it" frequently because of what I mentioned above? But I've owned the car for over 4 years now and never once had any of the issues mentioned here.

Could this just come down to driving style differences?

I think I've floored my 2012 maybe 10 times since I've owned it - and that has always been when on the highway when I was already moving pretty good - just to see what it has. And even then, I can't keep it floored very long becuase of how quickly it accelerates when floored.

I've never *had* to floor it though, that's for sure.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's the search for the gear between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. Doesn't always happen but it's something that everyone on the boards has complained about. I need to record it but it's like RPM rev up when it searches like a hesitation. If you drive hard no problem. Usually when driving normal to slow in start and stop situations. GM claims that is just how this transmission is designed. Just annoying that's all and it's not all the time

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I disagree not everyone has complained about it Angus. I know I haven't.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I will record it with my phone and post it, hard to believe you never had it on your impala. A google search shows it's very common.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
try 'coasting' on the highway for a bit...then get on it. i cannot reproduce it every time. but it's definitely one of the instances where the 'nothing' happens. thankfully extremely rare but scary as H when does happen and you need it.
We were driving on the highway today to go to lunch and I remembered this thread. I was going 60 then let it coast down to around 50 then floored it. It reacted fine, unlike my wife who got mad and yelled at me :wink:
It waited a second then shifted down and took off while making a nice sound. Seriously it sounds pretty damn good for a V6.
I tried it a few more times on the way home and it acted fine to me.

I also just went to the store and was coasting along around 35MPH and floored it, it roared then took off.

No complaints with our Impala.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Transmission

Having mine replaced after getting the same issue.
Dealer told they won't find anything and then came back and say they have to tear it down because it's an internal issue.
Just hoping this fixes it.

It's the search for the gear between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. Doesn't always happen but it's something that everyone on the boards has complained about. I need to record it but it's like RPM rev up when it searches like a hesitation. If you drive hard no problem. Usually when driving normal to slow in start and stop situations. GM claims that is just how this transmission is designed. Just annoying that's all and it's not all the time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts