Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would have to say hotchkis has the best kit and its about $600 and if im not mistaken you do not need to get a longer drive shaft, it will also help you launch better and look better

·
Registered
288 Posts
All of the above are good suggestions, unless he's talking about centering them "left to right" as opposed to "front to back." And, just to be an Ass, you don't "need" to center your rear wheels- you "want" to.
I suggest following KW's advice and figure out the total cost involved of both extended upper and lower control arms and driveshaft, then asking yourself if it's worth it.
Some people will tell you with the Hotchkis kit you don't need an extended driveshaft, since it's just a 1/2" extension compared to most others 3/4", which does require an extended driveshaft, but I would have the money for one on hand, just in case.

·
Registered
288 Posts
why aren't the wheels centered anyways ??? :confused:

it there a reason, or did GM mess up and didn't want to fix the problem :rolleyes:
The wheels are not centered front to back because the SS is based on the earlier caprice design, which originally had wheel skirts. When they removed the wheel skirts, it makes it appear that the rear wheels are shoved forward, though from what I have read, they are actually centered in the wheel well, just not the wheel well opening. You can push them back either 1/2" or 3/4", depending on which kit you get, but it does alter your suspension geometry.

Many peoples wheels are not centered left to right, well, because GM screwed up drilling the holes for mounting the upper control arms. There is a TSB out that elongates those holes so there is enough play to center the rear axle left to right, but that is a piss poor effort to fix the issue. Elongating the holes will just allow the mounting hardware to slide around in the hole, and since the hardware is probably made of a harder material than the frame, will just make the hole bigger over time. Some people have had success loosening or undoing some of the body mounts (which is another issue entirely for the SS) and sliding the body over to center the wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts