Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 LTZ Impala. I have 22” wheels with 245/30R22 and these tires are too small. It looks like I can fit a taller tire judging by the space I have. Anyone with 22’s put a bigger tire on their car? I need some more cushion. I know I could change to 20” wheels I’m just seeing what options I have to keep my 22’s. Thank in advance everyone!

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I have a 2015 LTZ Impala. I have 22” wheels with 245/30R22 and these tires are too small. It looks like I can fit a taller tire judging by the space I have. Anyone with 22’s put a bigger tire on their car? I need some more cushion. I know I could change to 20” wheels I’m just seeing what options I have to keep my 22’s. Thank in advance everyone!
I wouldnt try to go bigger. Good chance you'll throw the speedometer off and you'll probably end up having your tires rub against the wheel well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the size I’m going to the seepometer difference will be so little its almost not measurable. On my truck I went from 29’s to 35’s and it was only off 5-6 mph. The 265/30r22 is 1/2” taller so 1/4” all the way around and 3/4” wider so 3/8” on each side. I think the width will give me the proctectiin I’m looking for and the height will give a little cushion. I talked to a guy yesterday with the 265’s and he doesn’t rub. Now I’ll say I’ll have to watch taking bumps while turning but I do that anyway

·
Registered
68 Posts
With 22" wheels, you arent going to feel any noticeable difference going to a slightly thicker tire. With hardly any sidewall there, theres no flex to take the bumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I agree and understand. I’m looking to protect the wheel with the width. I had a small chunk of my wheel shipped with those narrow tires. I’m hopping with the added width I’ll have some tire sticking past the wheels a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep I agree and understand. I’m looking to protect the wheel with the width. I had a small chunk of my wheel shipped with those narrow tires. I’m hopping with the added width I’ll have some tire sticking past the wheels a bit. Thanks
The width might help avoid some curb rash, but as far preventing the transfer of shock from road to the rim itself, thicker and wider wont help. Wish you luck on whatever you end up with

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
36 Posts
As long as you don't hit any bumps lol.
I'm giving you three years of first hand experience but you still cling to ancient assumptions. Seems smart. The car came with 20's on it factory. 22's aren't some crazy leap. You don't like larger wheels, nothing wrong with your preference. You should dislike misinformation more though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm giving you three years of first hand experience but you still cling to ancient assumptions. Seems smart. The car came with 20's on it factory. 22's aren't some crazy leap. You don't like larger wheels, nothing wrong with your preference. You should dislike misinformation more though.
I like larger wheels, but I'm not stupid enough to think the ride quality is going to be the same as having an inch or two more of rubber between me and the road. Its actually physics. Less sidewall rubber means less material to absorb the shock from the road. Generally tires flex when they hit bumps and grooves in the road, the higher the ability to flex, the more shock that is mitigated and therefore you feel the bumps less. When you have little to no sidewall, the ability of the tire to flex to accommodate bumps and grooves is diminished. That's also why people are more likely to crack and bend rims when they have less of a sidewall and they hit potholes/bumps etc. Because now your solid rim is absorbing more of that shock since the tire isnt. But please tell me how uninformed I am lol. I can cite sources if you need help understanding.

Btw, my comment was meant to be a friendly joke. Quit taking yourself so seriously.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you still being friendly? I'm actually doing the thing you are guessing and making assumptions about. Anybody with 22's on this car will tell you that ride quality is not affected in any appreciable way if you live in a modern city as most of us do. If you're driving your Impala around the streets of Tombstone, definitely don't get 22's. Otherwise they are fine. You can't be scared to do it and be an expert on it at the same time. You seem bright, so I'm sure there are several topics in here where you actually have some first hand experience that might help. Jump in on one of those topics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you still being friendly? I'm actually doing the thing you are guessing and making assumptions about. Anybody with 22's on this car will tell you that ride quality is not affected in any appreciable way if you live in a modern city as most of us do. If you're driving your Impala around the streets of Tombstone, definitely don't get 22's. Otherwise they are fine. You can't be scared to do it and be an expert on it at the same time. You seem bright, so I'm sure there are several topics in here where you actually have some first hand experience that might help. Jump in on one of those topics.
Thank you for admitting I was right by stating that as long as you drive on modern roads with no bumps that your ride quality will be fine. Kind of what I meant with my original statement of "as long as you dont hit any bumps lol". Reading comprehension and not getting upset at little jokes like that go a long way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also, cant be scared to do it and be an expert on it at the same time? Do you have to burn your hand on an active stove burner before you're enough of an expert to know that itll feel worse than not putting your hand on the burner? 😂😂 ok I'm done. I've had my fun. Best of luck to you. May you always drive on perfectly flat roads. 😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts