Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm buying a pioneer radio from one of my cousins friends and he said I need a wiring harness for my car to hook it up. It is a 2005 impala base. He said it should cost about 30 bucks and it would be all i would need. I went to best buy today and told the guy what I needed and he shows me a wiring thing that has onstar and all this other stuff, but it costs 130 bucks... I don't want any of that other stuff I just want to radio in but he said that's what you need for my car and nothing else will work... what do I need? My cousin does audio work for people and said all I need is a $30 wiring harness but this guy says I need more....

Help?!?

Edit:
I bought the mounting kit thing, but the wiring harnesses are way more expensive for impalas than other cars because the diagnostics go through the stock radio or something.... Is there any way to just use a cheaper one and not have the door chimes and all of that? I don't really care about if the door chimes or not...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Even with getting the harness with the door chime you can barely here it because it only plays out of the driver speaker. I have the settings on it turned all the way up and you can hardly hear it. I had to take the pic I had off of the message display because if I didnt pay attention to the gas gauge I would never know. You should be able to use the Metra connector which I believe doesnt cost as much as the GM-OS4 that I used.

·
Registered
657 Posts
for my avic f900bt, i used the GM11 harness, and it has chimes and also an acc wire built in. yeah, it does only play out of the drivers speaker but i have no issues with it being loud enough. its plenty loud on my setup. i got the GM11 off ebay for about $20. but keep in mind, i dont have OnStar or anything, either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I got it all figured out now... The two connectors fit together almost perfectly so I didn't even buy a harness... I just took out the power wire from both sides and put those together

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually I didn't have to buy anything... the connector from the new stereo fit almost perfectly... I just had to pull the ignition power wire out of both sides then put them directly together and it works great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts