Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I have no idea wat kind of oil or transmission oil it uses. If any one knows let me know. also wat are some good sites to learn more about my car, its parts, and how to maintain it. And wat gas should i use reg. unleaded or ultimate?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The transmission definitely uses Dexron, so any of the dexron's will work, dexron 3 up to 6 is fine. As for oil I suggest 10w30 or 20w50 in the summer. To quiet the valves and lifters. As for gas, you should be able to use regular, but if it starts to ping a bit, I would switch to at least midgrade.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On the transmission oil use Dexron III, that is what came in the Turbo Hydramatic series of transmissions for this year car.

Oil 10W-30 is the recommended all year round. As stated above 20W-50 is fine for the summer.

On the fuel use only regular unleaded. If you start to get the gas ping first run a good fuel cleaner, second check the base distributer timing, which should be 8 degrees BTDC. Due to timing chain wear this may have to be adjusted. Also make sure the vacuum lines & operated devices are in good condition.

A good thing to have around is a Chiltons Repair Manual #28420, I like it over the Haynes #24045. The Chiltons has vacuum diagrams which the Haynes does not. The Chiltons also covers removal of many dash componets such as the gage clustor. I have both manuals. These are available from your local auto parts store.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts