Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 olds cc
5.7L

Took my car to a fella that does side work on cars. First he got worried because he couldnt' get the trans mount bolts off. I gotta soak and heat them before I do anything else but something he said got me confused.

Does the 5.7 have a 1 pc rear main seal or a 2 pc?

I was under the impression that the tranny only needs to come out to do a one piece and you don't have to drop the oil pan. He implied otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I need more information about WHICH car you have.
On my Mitchell On Demand 5.8 all I show is the V-6 or smaller engine. And yes the tranny has to be removed in order to change the Rear Main Oil seal. Please give the following:
Year
Make
Model
is it a S, SL, International (example: 1992 Cutless Cruiser SL)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need more information about WHICH car you have.
On my Mitchell On Demand 5.8 all I show is the V-6 or smaller engine. And yes the tranny has to be removed in order to change the Rear Main Oil seal. Please give the following:
Year
Make
Model
is it a S, SL, International (example: 1992 Cutless Cruiser SL)
Sorry. Not cutlass cruiser.

1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
has a 5.7L

·
Registered
140 Posts
All small block Chevrolet's after 1986 used the 1-piece rear main seal.

I've never had the pan off to change one, and I haven't really changed a lot of them due to leaking.

Make sure the back of the intake isn't leaking.

Older engines, you did not have to drop the trans, but you did have to remove the pan.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
According to my Mitchell On Demand 5.8 you will need to remove the transmission. It will take about 6 hours to replace the rear main engine crank seal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All small block Chevrolet's after 1986 used the 1-piece rear main seal.

I've never had the pan off to change one, and I haven't really changed a lot of them due to leaking.

Make sure the back of the intake isn't leaking.

Older engines, you did not have to drop the trans, but you did have to remove the pan.

When he had it on the ramps he pulled the dust shield and cleaned everything off. I ran it and its definatley the rear leaking. The car sat for about a year without being ran.

I thought it had a 1 pc rear. I guess it might be a good thing that he didn't do it.

Well I think I am going to do it myself. I didn't want to, but looks like I don't have much of an option short of spending 400+ to have a shop do it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The last time I did one on the ground, I got some long pieces of threaded rod, and threaded them into the back of the engine. Slid the trans back enough on the rods to get the flexplate off, and change the seal. Worked AWESOME.

Don't forget to disconnect the TV cable from the transmission before you pull the trans. I like to disconnect it from the throttle linkage, then unbolt the cable from the trans. Lift it up, and unhook it off the throttle valve linkage in the transmission, leaving the linkage hanging out of the case. This way, you don't have to play around with resetting the cable when you put 'er all back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts