Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it still wont start.? I have an 1989 chevy camaro. I replaced the fuel pump, distributor, cap, wires and it still wont start. It turns over, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off. I have gone so far as to replace the modulator.

When I start it I have to tap the gas to get fuel in the pump then wait then turn over again, sometimes it starts sometimes it takes a few more turn overs.

It is almost like the fuel pump isnt priming.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconnect the fuel line going into the carb and aim it towards a container to catch overflow. Crank the engine over and see if fuel spits out. If nothing comes out you've still got a fuel pump problem.
Also make sure you have fuel in the tank, at least 5 gallons.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimmie ya have to "prime the fuel pump' so to speak. under the dash on the driver's side right side is a thing that looks like a harmonica. Take a paper clip and insert both ends into the 2 r/s prongs and listen for the fuel pump to start purr and then quit or ya can just turn on he key and listen for it to purr till it quits before attempting to start it

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I always believe in starting from basics.
are you getting fuel to the carb?
2.if you are is there fire to the plugs?
3.did it run before ,has it sat for a while?
4.reason I asked if it ran before ,maybe some one messed with the timing.
does it have gas
So if you gas,fire.compression and timing correct it should start.
did you check or replace the plugs.
If it is a electric fuel pump in the tank when you turn the key on it should run 2 seconds then shut off. while you r cranking it will run till it starts.I think its throttle body inj.while cranking see if the injectors are spraying fuel.If you ned more help I will be glad to help run it down.must email or messenger me.There are alot of things to concider

1 - 4 of 4 Posts