Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or no? it says in the original manual change the trans fluid every 15,000 miles if the car is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:

in heavy city traffic where the outside temp is regulary reaches 90f or higher
in hilly or mountanious terrain
frequent trailer pulling
uses such as found in taxi police car,or delievery service.

to answer that is no to the above maybe stop and go traffic but thats normal...and as for the weather its always changing cold to warm now so i dunno what to do? im in chicago... it says if you do not use your car under any of these conditions change both the fluid and filter every 100,000 miles.... so should i change it at the 100,000 mark? cause i dunno when it was last changed?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It should be changed sometime soon. Make sure you get the filter changed also. That will probably last you the life of the car.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Examine your dipstick. Does it smell badly or is it brownish in color, and not bright red?? You should change it now, anyway, but also you must change the trans filter. If the fluid is old and burned a little, change the fluid at least 2-3 times. This will improve the percentage of bad/ good fluid (since you can't really remove the fluid that is in the torque converter). The more it is changed, the better the trans can work. Have whoever does this for you spray down your valve body (the transmission "instructor") with regular fluorinated brake clean chemical to remove all traces of dissolved clutch material. This debris left behind can cause trouble in shifting. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts