Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the morning i have to pump the gas to start but after i run it and i turn it off when i get back in and try to start it it wont start right away? so some times i have to pump it again! but sometimes it does start right away?? every thing on it is new. new edelbrock 600 cfm carb new msd distributor and msd super conductor wires and other things but im wondering if it has something to do with the spark?? the timing is set to 0'' should i set it to something else or adjust the vacuum advance? i just left every thing the way it came. i do have a crane cam in it too! i just want it to fire up right away!! if anybody can help me i would appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
That is typical of carburetors. But the timing is not correct. Set the base timing to 6 degrees before top dead center. That should solve your problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea I agree w/ 77Impala, timing is off. For a carb engine it needs advance off the start. If 6 deg. works, then dial it in a bit, try 8deg. Since you have a aftermarket cam. Also check your compression, If the long block came adjusted already, then all is probally good. I have started up motors freshly rebuilt and forgot to properly adjust the rockers and had em too tight, hence little compression and fuel. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep tweeking the timing more advanced little bits at a time. Take it for a spin after every adjustment until you've advanced the timing to the point where you just start to here some pinging while under load. Then back it off a tiny little bit untill it goes away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts