Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...comp.chip ($100). Is this true? Had appt to have CD player install., they got behind, had to leave. Grandson thought he could install, had problems. Went to this same place for advice, they told him he couldn't without a comp.chip because it was a Chevy and it would cost $100. I wasn't told that when I had it in there previously.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you want to change the cd player in a 2004 Impala you need to keep the original cd player because it controls alot of stuff that is really important, you dont need a comp chip if you keep your original cd player hooked up. You can install it in the trunk and put the other cd player in the dash.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car uses what is called a "Class 2 Databus" which means the radio is tied in to the car's computer. Technically, you don't have to have the radio installed, but it *might* affect some systems. I have seen people bypass it seemingly without problems. However, you will lose the key chime as it is normally sent through the door speaker. It is against federal law to bypass a key chime.

If you relocate the radio, it will still require a special kit which costs $40-$50 and the labor is much harder.

The interface you can buy between $75-$100 fools the computer into thinking the stock radio is still there and it also keeps the key chime and the feature where the radio remains on after the ignition is off until the door opens, known as RAP (Retained Accessory Power).

{Added Note}

You can't simply add a regular harness to this car because there is no 12-Volt accessory this way. You will have to run a new wire to power the radio.

Another thing: If you ever take the car to the dealer for service, you need to connect the OEM radio because it will cause trouble codes when they scan the computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts