Impala Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this stage of the car's life? I take it to the mechanics for oil changes at the appropriate time it needs it. I have had a trasmittion flush at around 36k on recommendation. That is pretty much it..but I am concerned that I should be replacing tires soon or doing something to keep my car running good and keeping up with the maintenance to avoid future major repairs. Any help will help. Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is that kilometers or miles? If its kilometers than I recommend checking out the following...
1. Check your air filter and cabin filter
2. Have a exhaust inspection (check for loose components)
3. Have the fuel system looked at for damage or leaks
4. I'd also recommend changing the tranny fluid again with the filter kit. Its supposed to be done every 40K
5. And of course the obvious (tire pressure, measure tread depth)

When you hit 100K, I'd recommend doing a standard tune up with includes AC DELCO plugs and wires. If its not AC DELCO, than don't put it in. Remember, real car guys know AC DELCO.

Hope this helps some...

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I would suggest checking all your belts and hoses as well as looking into the timing belt once you get into higher mileage.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
as well as looking into the timing belt once you get into higher mileage.
FWIW, these have chains, ya they'll stretch, but not as bad...and you have to remove everything from the front cover to get at it, would bean overhaul, not just maintainence ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am glad to hear they have a timing chain and not a belt. I was wondering about mine and if was going to need one soon. It's a 2005 3.4 liter with 80,000 miles on it. It runs like new because the previous owner followed everything in the chevy handbook for maintenance and it was all done at a local chevy dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought it 2 weeks ago so selling it is not an option. You just made me feel good about buying it. Are you saying I might have problems with it soon? If so, I better go buy that extended warranty before the end of next week.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If you are able to buy the extended warranty, do so asap. These 3.4 motors have many issues and the folks here will back me up when I say that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just called the dealer and they want $1,250 for a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty and the prices goes up from there. I was expecting less then that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the 3.4s are the same engines out of the grand ams, They are prone to UIM/LIM failures, and there are a few cases of oil pump failures starting to pop up in the 98-03 GA's. The 3.4(& 3.1) is the one engine you really want to try to avoid from GM. That being said, there are cases of these cars going 150k w/o issues, if regular/anal maintainence is established. I would NOT flush the trans under ANY condition, a fluid & filter change is one thing, but it seems as if once you flush the trans, thats when issues start to arise.

There are a few options you can do:
1. Warranty, read the fine print, but 1200 for 12 mos seems a little steep to me, if you have a UIM/LIM failure it should run well under that price. Remember most of these aftermarket warranties do not cover suspension/brakes/etc, and get it in writing that whoever is selling you the warranty will also severice the vehicle under warranty. Just because they sell it doesnt mean they honor it! Read the fine print on it ask lots of questions, if they say they cover everything onthe powertain/suspension and there is little to 0 deductible 1200 is a good deal. get it in writing though! If you plan on keepin ght ecar a warranty on the 3.4 isnt a bad idea....

2. if the uim/lmi failure occurs, alot of the 3.4 guys are buying topends from wrecked late model 3.5 cars, IIRC these are alum and not prone to the same failure.

3. you can always look into an engine swap (www.milzymotorsports.com www.l67swap.com) in case of engine failure, the L26/36/67/32's are great engine w/ little to no issues (compared to the 3.4s)

Just a quick heads up.....

keep in mind i am no expert, but i am a mod on another Impala forums, and belong to several other Wbody forums, just trying to give you a heads up of the issues that i have seen over the last 4+ years....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would not worry about somthing like that timing chain. You may not have a problem with that for a while. I would just put some money aside every week to give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey.. i'm going to buy 2004 chey impala with 141k miles as a second car for regular my work and back home about 10 miles total. are there any major part replacement cost need to consider on this car. are there any problems occuring..

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey.. i'm going to buy 2004 chey impala with 141k miles as a second car for regular my work and back home about 10 miles total. are there any major part replacement cost need to consider on this car. are there any problems occuring..
Everything. But really, what engine? And you may have better luck making your own post as is any forum etiquette.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
This thread is 6 years old. Please start your own thread for the problem with the engine, too. Thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.