Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i change the oil again since the oil the previous owner seemed to use sucked and makin the engine make noise he change it about a month and a half ago? i wanted to use some good 5w-30 like mobile and a k&n air filter and k&n oil filter will that be ok if i change it again? will it effect anything? can u change your oil whenever u want i know the mark is every 3,000-5,000 miles? please help me thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it wont hurt anything,but id warn you not to use too light an oil inan old car like that.it has miles on it and from my experience 5w oil isnt heavyenough.10w40is a far better choice for old cars and it may take care of the noise youre experiencing.and yes you could change you oil every week if you were so inclined.also,from my experience K&N filters arent worth what they cost,a good clean regualr filter is plenty good enough for a street car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it won't hurt to change it again if you like how its been maintained. not very cost efficient though you might just wait til its time again surely there's other things you can spend your money on

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I would use at least a 10W30 oil. Mobil is a good brand. I personally do not like K&N airfilters, found holes in mine after 20K, heard two other people had same problem. Those holes allow dirt to enter your engine and destroy it. Now the K&N oil filters I have not used and neither have I heard anything bad about.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont change it too often. i change mine ever 4-5 thou miles. and it depends on what sort of noise the engine makes. I used to own an 88 caprice, and i had to put high test gas in it in order for it run right, without valve rattle. try putting the best high test gas in it first, see if that clears it up. also the carb may need cleaning too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts