Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to know if the coolant is used when the heat is working? cause i noticed my tempature meter stick moved up a half inch i dunno why? i was thinkin there might be a problem? also my coolant level been acting wierd sometimes i check it and its ok other times its so low?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NO coolant is not used!! But you do have an intermittant leak, check your water pump, look at it from the bottom, look for trails of a white or green stain on the bottom of the water pump, have your radiator and radiator cap pressure tested. Make sure the coolant recovery tank is not cracked!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Yes the coolant is what absorbs the heat from the engine and puts in the cabin when you want heat and the excess is removed from the coolant by the radiator.
First check I would do is replace the radiator cap. This is the cheapest cure (if it is an old or bad cap) for your described problem. If it is not the problem you may have a headgasket that is bad or a crack in the block leaking pressure into the coolant and blowing it out of the radiator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts