Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny story:

In lieu of having to change my oil this past week, I decided to make my life easier and buy a set up ramps, figuring they would be cheaper and safer than a jack. I lined the ramps up directly under my tires and tried getting up... BOY was that harder than I thought. The FWD creates a pulling force on the ramp that made it vry difficult to get up the ramps safely. I would roll up a little, then roll back down. It is really difficult trying to give just the right amount of gas to get up on the ramp without overshooting.

After a few failures, I get impatient and gas it a little more then I should. I hear a huge thud and the passenger side of my car drops off the ramp. Damn front wheel drive LAUNCHED the ramp all the way to the rear of the car and wedged it under my rocker panel :oops:. NICE. The drivers wheel was up just fine and dandy.

I guess front wheel drive DOES blow.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yup a jack would be way safer ive had that happen w my rwd datsun truck when i was a kid doing like my first oil change bent one of my front stabalizer bars.....

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have not had that happen, to any vehicle FWD or RWD....yet!:rolleyes:

I prefer to have someone watch the ramps while I put the vehicle up on them. It is not full proof but does help.

I guess what happened to you may have been part of that Torque Steer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
heh... that reminds me of watching my GF try to pull my '56 Golden Hawk up on a U-Haul trailer... big Packard V-8, automatic, very touchy throttle. She saved it, but for a split second I thought I was going to have a very uncomfortable conversation with my insurance agent...

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was a combo of things:

1. Too much torque in the front wheel to precisely stop onto such a small spot
2. Not using anyone/anything as a guide
3. cheap plastic ramps
4. Psyching myself out thinking I was going to F*** something up. My biggest fear war overshooting the flat spot on the ramp and doing some real damage.

All of these on top of my own sloppy, get it done quick attitude led to some hilariously shocking results.

Luckily nothing was damaged and I returned the ramps. It couldve turned out a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

3. cheap plastic ramps
4. Psyching myself out thinking I was going to F*** something up. My biggest fear war overshooting the flat spot on the ramp and doing some real damage.

All of these on top of my own sloppy, get it done quick attitude led to some hilariously shocking results.

Luckily nothing was damaged and I returned the ramps. It couldve turned out a lot worse.

yea w all tha plastic ur lucky u didnt mess somemore shit up....

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The "plastic" rhino ramps are awesome.

I would chalk this one up to driver inexperiance. If I can get a 3400 stall 4.10 car on ramps forward or backward alone you should be able to get your's up. Roll the window down and stick your head out to watch where you are going. Had the wife's 03 Impala on ramps and he old Topaz too both FWD no problems.

When I was younger and less experianced I put ramps on soft ground and tried to put my 82 Delta 88 on them, one rolled forward and over the car went much like you had happen. I admitted I made some mistakes allowing me to learn from it, and it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
828 Posts
... figuring they would be cheaper and safer than a jack.
I wouldn't trust those plastic ramps they sell at parts places. You can often see the swirls in the plastic where they could fail.

I use a jack to lift the car in the middle under the engine (there's usually a pad or a frame crossmember) and then lower it onto two jack stands.

Before I jack it up I put two big pieces of wood behind and in front of one back wheel with the park brake on.

When I was a kid I had a Mini slowly fall down when I had it jacked up in a crappy way and I had time to slide out from under it. Scared the shit out of me. Ever since I've been super, super careful.

...I guess front wheel drive DOES blow.
Nature has had millions of years to trial and error many designs, and most auto designs are found in nature. The car has two lights, we have two eyes etc...
And in nature, except for trick circus dogs that walk on their front legs, most creatures are 4WD and a few, like us, are RWD.

It must be because it works.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "plastic" rhino ramps are awesome.

I would chalk this one up to driver inexperiance.
I agree with you there, but I used to use ramps all the time on my old firebird and never had a problem. I also just got impatient and gassed it too hard. However, the equilibrium force to gently get this car up the ramps was very hard to find.

But no more excuses from me. it was an amateur mistake that I kicked myself in the ass for but laughed about later... Just glad there was no damage... it was an inexpensive lesson learned.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I modified the fenders on an old caprice I used to have with ramps once... I was pulling the tranny, so I had to put blocks under the wheels ontop of the ramps to get the height I needed. Well, when I was backing off of them, BOOM! the front dropped and made the fenders kinda roll inward identically on both sides. It actually gave it kind of a sporty look :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
And in nature, except for trick circus dogs that walk on their front legs, most creatures are 4WD and a few, like us, are RWD.

It must be because it works.[/QUOTE]

lol a fwd person that would be some funny shit:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I wouldn't trust those plastic ramps they sell at parts places. You can often see the swirls in the plastic where they could fail.

I use a jack to lift the car in the middle under the engine (there's usually a pad or a frame crossmember) and then lower it onto two jack stands.

Before I jack it up I put two big pieces of wood behind and in front of one back wheel with the park brake on.

When I was a kid I had a Mini slowly fall down when I had it jacked up in a crappy way and I had time to slide out from under it. Scared the shit out of me. Ever since I've been super, super careful.

Nature has had millions of years to trial and error many designs, and most auto designs are found in nature. The car has two lights, we have two eyes etc...

It must be because it works.
I believe those "swirls" are the fiberous reinforment. Sort of like rebar in concrete.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've seen children's toys and garbage cans with those swirls crack right along the swirls.
Maybe it depends on if they are multi layered or just one layer, I don't know, they still give me the creeps!

·
Banned
117 Posts
If you tried using them plastic ramps on a smooth serface then 8 times out of 10 the ramps will slip.....

Put them ramps on a serface that has more 'bite' and then see if that helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts

3. cheap plastic ramps

Just Buy a 2 1/2ton rolling jack and be done with it:wink:. You might want to buy some jack stands also just to be safe. I never really cared for ramps and never plastic:eek: ones to boot.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just Buy a 2 1/2ton rolling jack and be done with it:wink:. You might want to buy some jack stands also just to be safe. I never really cared for ramps and never plastic:eek: ones to boot.
Just one step further... I would -NEVER- jack anything up without jack stands to at least serve as a failsafe. I think I paid maybe $20 for a nice set of 3 ton jack stands.

When I was younger, a friend of mine's dad was killed when his jack failed and a car crushed his chest in. And I saw it right afterward. Still gives me a chill thinking about it. And he was a professional mechanic. He didn't use jack stands that day because he was in a hurry. I will never make that mistake for as long as I live.

And as far as ramps go, always get some that have some kind of stop at the edge. I've been using some solid wood ones that my old man used as a kid. I have a 4X4 piece of oak nailed to the end so I don't go over the edge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just one step further... I would -NEVER- jack anything up without jack stands to at least serve as a failsafe. I think I paid maybe $20 for a nice set of 3 ton jack stands.

When I was younger, a friend of mine's dad was killed when his jack failed and a car crushed his chest in. And I saw it right afterward. Still gives me a chill thinking about it. And he was a professional mechanic. He didn't use jack stands that day because he was in a hurry. I will never make that mistake for as long as I live.

And as far as ramps go, always get some that have some kind of stop at the edge. I've been using some solid wood ones that my old man used as a kid. I have a 4X4 piece of oak nailed to the end so I don't go over the edge.
Very true statement!!!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts