Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many GM FWD engines have a provision where you can tip them forward to get to the spark plugs. Check my Yahoo blog for some posts that explain how (2nd or 3rd page back) Click the magnifying glass, and then save to your computer, and then view through Windows Picture and Fax Viewer;
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-OKVKas41crT0RIwhXrCAoUuHgA9.cN6uMM2P
Not sure if it works on this particular car, but it's worth a shot.
Taking the Coil Pak off will help too, if it's where I think it is.
A wobble Drive extension helps a lot, especially on the front one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have changed these plugs on my 1995 Grand Am and 2000 Malibu. Same 3.1 engine and similar configuration.

Remove the mounting bolts to the coil pack and flip it forward. Remove the mount for the carbon canister purge.

You can access the plugs but you won't be able to see them well. I do the rest of the work by feel.

When putting in the plugs put a little seize on the threads. Put a little dielectric grease in the spark plug boots. This way you will be able to get them out again in the future if needed.

Install AC platinum plugs just like the ones from the factory. This way they should be good for another 100,000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have changed these plugs on my 1995 Grand Am and 2000 Malibu. Same 3.1 engine and similar configuration.

Remove the mounting bolts to the coil pack and flip it forward. Remove the mount for the carbon canister purge.

You can access the plugs but you won't be able to see them well. I do the rest of the work by feel.

When putting in the plugs put a little seize on the threads. Put a little dielectric grease in the spark plug boots. This way you will be able to get them out again in the future if needed.

Install AC platinum plugs just like the ones from the factory. This way they should be good for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i can get @ mine w/ a u joint and a few extensions w/o rocking the engine forward, but diconecting the dogbones @ the block and rocing the engine forward is prob. the easiest way to get at them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts