Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across Impala Forums while looking for clues about what might be causing an odd problem I'm having on my '03 Impala.

The car runs fine... up to about 45, 55 mph. Around there, suddenly I can't get almost any acceleration at all. It's fine up to this point, I don't hear any unusual noises, it's not overheating (at least, not on a cold January day in New England), and there's no warning light when this happens (I did just have a module replaced last month because of a problem that was making it fail the state inspection). Last had the transmission flushed in March 2008, keep up with oil changes, filters, replacing worn parts, etc. It is getting old -- about 152,000 miles (at least 80% high-speed highway driving of 20+ miles at a time), but other than wear and tear, it's always run well for me. The only thing I can think of as a symptom that would hint about the problem is that when this happens, the gas pedal feels a little 'dead' under my foot, like nothing's happening, but it's fine at lower speeds. Tried a dose of dry gas, but it didn't do much, basically just got me home that night and then the problem resumed the next evening.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this? I just dropped a bunch of money on passing the state inspection last month, so I'm hoping there's a simple and relatively cheap solution. I don't really care for the new models, and this car's always been pretty good to me until now... I was hoping to make it to 200K again, which is about where I've always taken my Chevys.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar problem over the summer. Me and some friends went camping and it rained so when the weekend was over, we threw the tent and other soaking wet things into the trunk. The water from them seeped through the bottom and made some electrical stuff go bad. My car would actually accelerate up to 45 by itself as though the cruise control was stuck but then i couldn't get it to go any faster. and my pedal also felt 'dead'. so my advice is check the trunk for anything wet that may have soaked through.. other than that, i dont know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll take a look, but I shouldn't have any leaks. We did the little trick of drilling some holes in the rear so water drains and doesn't collect and short out the back lights, and I'm always adamant about making sure the cabin filter is re-sealed correctly. I don't put anything that would be wet in my trunk, besides maybe a spare snow brush.

I just had some electrical stuff replaced - a module was getting shorted out (i was having the problem where the air bag warning light won't turn off), but supposedly that was all fixed.

UPDATE: Looks like it was the catalytic converter. Got that replaced, and it's running almost like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts