Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys i need a lot of help and advice on what to do with my Impala. i own a 2004 LS Sport that has way to many electrical problems with it. the thing is that it ran fine for the first six weeks that i owned it and ever since i wrecked it in June it seems like all my electrical things are having issues.

first it starts off with my high beams, they work fine sometimes for the entire time that i need them and other times they cut out on me. not just one both of them and they dont come back on until i flip off my brights. i really have not had the opportunity to look at them because its been so cold and snowy here, but i dont think its the bulbs. i mean what are the chances that both bulbs would go at the same time? i am hoping that it is nothin major as i am a college student and dont really have a lot of money to be putting into this car.

second, i was driving my car about a month ago and i had been on the road for about 45 minutes or so when i noticed that my rpm guage had stopped working. the needle just lays flat and does not move at all... not even when i stomp on my gas pedal. however when i shut off my car and restart it the guage works fine for about 45 minutes to an hour and then it just lays flat and completly stops working all together.

then last night when i was driving home i realized that my oil pressure guage is now all outta sorts as well. it still works, but instread of registering where it should it stops at high to register idle but then when i am moving it clears the high stopping point and just keeps going.

i truly am at my wits with this car, i dont have the time or the patience to deal with every little electrical problem that is starting to go wrong with this car. i love this car but i dunno how much more money i can really put into this car. the only thing that i can come up with is that when they had to replace my front fender becauase of my accident that the guys at the shop messed with my wiring or something electrical and has everything all messed up. i mean if these two are already messed up whats next to screw up my gas guage? could really use some adivce on this one! thanks!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Stacey....the gauges on your type car always go to sh*t. Typically its the gauges and not the sensors. Contact 04DetroitLs on this forum for superior wrong wheel drive expertise. I cannot help you too much since those cars are banned from entering my shop,driveway and my mind. Good luck and glad to see ya back again.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help i will be sure to contact him and see what he thinks. i will prolly just run it to our neighborhood mechanic and let him check it out to and prolly fix it for me as i do not have the time to do anything with it. its just frustrating it seems like everytime i drive it anymore i find something else wrong with it. stupid accident messed up my car! lol just sucks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
it sounds like the guage issues are from the cluster, but your high beam issue may be due to the multifunction switch. Its a common problem but the part is expensive. I've also had issues with the side instrument cluster fuse block, so when your high beams do go out, tap on the fuse block and see if that kicks them on again. If it does that's your problem. Which fender was hit? Passenger Front? Your main fuse block is there, and it might be related to the accident, and the insurance company should cover that, or at least the body shop should do something about it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stacey, I agree with the other two posts. The clusters do go to crap & act up. Before my dad bought his 2004 Impala he looked up problems with them and for the most part the only things people complained about were the gauges & the high beam issues.

He looked at it because the gas gauge on his did not work when he looked at the car. Well, 6 months later & it still doesn't. I heard there was a TSB on the clusters but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
its the cluster, Delphi had a lawsuit against them for this and they have to replace the clusters (if the car has under 60K on it IIRC) it effects a bunch of GM cars from 00-03 (iirc) I know it effects the Imp and 04 Envoys as well ( i have both, imp gauges are fine, envoy's took a dump)

www.bbengineer.com repairs them and can do LED upgrades as well ;) otherwise hit up www.car-parts.com and find a replacement.

as for the hi beams, my lows started doing this, but i have pulled the engine and am working on that as well, havent had time to troubeshoot iteyt, if its your his check the switch in the column, theres been a few of these that have went out ;)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds like the guage issues are from the cluster, but your high beam issue may be due to the multifunction switch. Its a common problem but the part is expensive. I've also had issues with the side instrument cluster fuse block, so when your high beams do go out, tap on the fuse block and see if that kicks them on again. If it does that's your problem. Which fender was hit? Passenger Front? Your main fuse block is there, and it might be related to the accident, and the insurance company should cover that, or at least the body shop should do something about it.
no when i got hit i got slammed on my driver's side and i know that they prolly messed with all my electrical shit when they had to replace that fender but i have not really had the time to figure it out. the problem with my high beams is that i do not use them all that much, if i cant see i just use my fog lights and that tends to help a bit more. but i will run them and then tap on the block and see if they come back on... i am hoping that its not going to be too expensive to fix!!

04detroitls said:
its the cluster, Delphi had a lawsuit against them for this and they have to replace the clusters (if the car has under 60K on it IIRC) it effects a bunch of GM cars from 00-03 (iirc) I know it effects the Imp and 04 Envoys as well ( i have both, imp gauges are fine, envoy's took a dump)

www.bbengineer.com repairs them and can do LED upgrades as well ;) otherwise hit up www.car-parts.com and find a replacement.

as for the hi beams, my lows started doing this, but i have pulled the engine and am working on that as well, havent had time to troubeshoot iteyt, if its your his check the switch in the column, theres been a few of these that have went out ;)
okay now as far as the cluster goes, how do i go about getting it replaced and how much is it going to cost me to do this? or am i pretty much just going to have to buy a new one? like i said i am a college student who does not have a whole lot of money to be wasting on this car. not only that but i dont really have the time either to fix it so unfortuatly i think its just going to end up at the neighborhood mechanic in hopes that he can fix it for me, i wish i had the time to do it myself but i dont. with two jobs and school its makes things a little tough! thanks for all the help though boys, if nothin else i will say something to him about what you guys think. i just want it fixed and to run right.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
copied from another forum:

But only if the vehicle has less than 70k or is less than 7 years old from time of purchase. If you took it in and have documentation before 70K but didn't fix it, they will honor it. Customer Service 1-800-630-2438 8am-11pm EST

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who are you.

Stacey....the gauges on your type car always go to sh*t. Typically its the gauges and not the sensors. Contact 04DetroitLs on this forum for superior wrong wheel drive expertise. I cannot help you too much since those cars are banned from entering my shop,driveway and my mind. Good luck and glad to see ya back again.
Why would you post on this site?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
More to the point, he is the admin. Learn to read and you might save yourself dude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts