Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hurry I about to buy a 93 Caprice but... (Pics on P.2)

Today i want to buy this 1993 caprice really bad but I want to know what this problem could be.

Sometimes when you come to a stop it acts like it wants to die like the rpms are going up n down but then it does away once you put your foot on the gas. Then sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

What can this be? Is it the engine, furl, trans? Let me know pleasebecause I dont want to get it if its that much trouble.

Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am going to assume this motor is the L03, TBI, 305. You may want to just check over the engine for vacum lines, and clean the throttle body blades. The idle air control may need cleaning and the EGR may need checking. just some easy things to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So nothing should be wrong with the engine then right? Like heads. blown headgasket, cam or anything like that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok then when running check the exhaust and see what color it is. Check the oil for any signs of antifreeze if not recently changed to be sold. As far as head gaskets or intake gaskets? Intake gasket leak will show coolant in the oil as well as letting some air in, perhaps could be some problems w/ rough idle. Check for signs of engine being overheated or neglected, lots of oil all over block, radiator green old crumbly, original rad. hoses, etc. Or if possible scan it and read the codes for better diagnosis. The cam should be a roller cam w/ roller rockers and last along time. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys I went ahead and got it.

This is my first chevy vehicle and I love it. I live about 25-30 miles from the seller. I drove it home mostly freeway and it run good. It didn't sputter or anything. I will post pictures of it tomorrow.

For $1,000 I just couldn't pass this thing up.

By the way it has a 5.7 in it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
+1 on the great deal! Any decent runner for a grand or less these days is a steal. Heck, if it looks decent, and you can get some of the bugs worked out, you can probably pop it up on craigslist and get 1500-1700 out of it easy. Or, just have cheap good transportation, that's fun and cool looking to boot. Congrats, can't wait to see pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes good deal, hop you enjoy it, B-body's are nice drivers and safe, no one messes with ya on the freeways. I also would enjoy some pics if possible for some fodder to looky at.

The L05, good motor, I often think that since driving a LT1 daily driver for 5 yrs now, I can say at times a L05 may be nice for city/driving due to the smoother less jerky accelerations in traffic. My 96 just wants to torque up and go with the tight tranny and is at times not optimum for traffic driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crappy cell pics

Sorry for the crappy cell pictures. I will use my girls camera tomorrow so you can see how good the car really looks.

Here is the only damage the car has. The driver side fender

Here is the carfax:

1992 CHEVROLET CAPRICE
1G1BL5370NR150322
SEDAN 4 DR
5.7L V8 TBI OHV 16V / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Hi-I'm the CARFAX Xpertâ„¢. I'm here to help you better understand the data in this CARFAX Report. Did you know...
We checked over 5 billion records from thousands of data sources for this vehicle
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 121,520

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Chevrolet dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX.
No Data Reported

1 - 10 of 10 Posts