Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say hello! This is the first time I've had to resort to the forum for advice. I have an 03 3.8L ls. My wife was driving home the other day following a truck/trailer. A large piece of concrete fell from the trailer and she tried to avoid it, but hit it with the edge of passenger front tire. It broke the a belt and created a bulge in tire. It would make an intermittent humming noise between 50-55. I went today and replaced the tire. Its still making the noise. No vibration and alignment is good. I changed the tire to the rear, but its still doing it. I'm thinking the wheel bearing was jarred. What do you guys think?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's possible, but you won't know till you check it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Check the bearing, They dont last forever, and the sealed types are ten times worse than the old greaseables.
Have them rebalance the tires as well, Its likely you lost a few weights especially if you use the tape style weights.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ agree on the bearing being the likely culprit. He replaced the only affected tire, so I don't think it is a balance issue. Plus he moved the affected tire to the rear as well, and the sound was still front passenger side, as I read it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinions. I was leaning towards the bearing as well. Just needed a little feedback on what others thought. I replaced them in Oct 2010 for normal wear. These have roughly 25,000mi on them. I'm sure that the impact caused premature failure. Will let ya know the outcome when I change it out. :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Lift the front of the car up, grab the wheel and try to wiggle it, it shouldn't budge. If it does wobble, a bad bearing will allow movement in all directions, whereas if its only side to side it would be a bad tie-rod, or top to bottom would be a ball joint. You will also hear a growling from the front end that gets louder when cornering. For me, it doesn't matter if its one side or both, they should really be replaced in pairs.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They aren't that cheap, and its really best to get a quality brand so you only have to do this once. Expect in the neighborhood of $120 each, I don't know if you have ABS or not, but even if you don't, you can get the ABS ones as they are cheaper, you just can't plug them in obviously.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
What brand? If you get a crappy brand, I can garauntee you'll be replacing them again, which will cost more in the long run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts