Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share my experience for the benefit of others on front and rear hub issues. My wife drives a 14 LT, she informs me that her ABS/Traction control light is on...oh boy here we go. Get out the scan tool R/F speed sensor. 59000 miles and speed sensors are failing.... really. My son works for a dealer and he puts it on his scan tool and it shows the wave pattern for the left front bad....1st issue. OK price check and shop around for wheel hubs. by the time i get the replacement which was about a week, the stabilitrac is on and now the power steering is not working. for you do it yourself people all of this happened because of the speed sensor in (or in this case on the hub). New design from GM's masterminds, the speed sensor, tone ring reluctor wheel...MAGNET is glued to the back of the bearing, not internal, no pigtail or wire. The sensor bolts into the spindle on the new design. Change the hub...clear the codes... LR speed sensor no good. Frustrating that the computer would not show both at one time and same hub fits all 4 corners as info. Now you can see the sensor on the back wheel looking in from the back side but not the front, that one needs to be removed to see that it's broken. The magnet is about 1/16th thick, 1/4 in wide and the diameter of the bearing. I'm not sure what would cause these to break but they are exposed. I just thought i would share my experience, maybe it will help other with multiple lights and confusion...and AGGRAVATION !!!
Paul

·
Registered
287 Posts
The magnetic sensor strips typically fail due to corrosion jacking(rust build up under the edge of magnet) or sometimes thermal shock like driving through a puddle or similar.

Be aware when replacing hubs that the 3 bolts that hold each hub on are a one time use bolt, as is the lower shock bolt and outer bolt on the upper control arm in the rear.

If you reuse these bolts and torque them to spec they can fail instantly, or worse yet, they can fail later down the road while driving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts