Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my son has a 2004 Impala LS and runs nice...

Recently started having this...
If you barely turn the wheel left, you hear a "rubbing noise" at about 35-40mph. If straight, or barely turning right - no noise.

Took it to the local dealer, and they said it is the right front hub bearing, with a cost of $513 to replace.... the sealed hub is $283, and 1.6hrs labor is $192, and then taxes, shop fee BS = $513

SO - I can't remember if I've ever had a bearing replaced ???
Anything special cause this to happen... our recent Chicago potholes, icy weather, what ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
i just bought a hub for less than $100, installing myself for free. these bearings just wear out sometimes and the potholes certainly dont help the matter. if you want to make sure its the hub, just jack the car up, grab it from the top and bottom, like the 12 and 6 position, and see if you have any movement. if so, then yes your hub is bad. while its up, try to shake it left and right, if you get movement thats usually a sign of tie rods.

·
Registered
557 Posts
BEWARE OF AFTERMARKET HUB BEARINGS!! I had 2 different cars come back after I installed aftermarket hub bearings, due to play. And they only drove 5,000 miles on the aftermarket bearings. The dealer part may be expensive, but usually they're pretty good, I haven't had one come back yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i just bought a hub for less than $100, installing myself for free. these bearings just wear out sometimes and the potholes certainly dont help the matter. if you want to make sure its the hub, just jack the car up, grab it from the top and bottom, like the 12 and 6 position, and see if you have any movement. if so, then yes your hub is bad. while its up, try to shake it left and right, if you get movement thats usually a sign of tie rods.
Noisy wheel bearings aren't always loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts