Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to rebuild the steering linkage and put some Hothkis drop springs on Barricade this spring. Any of you mechanics on the forum have a guesstimate of what it might cost?

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
What brand and how complete a rebuilt are you talking?
DIY then take it in for an alignment or pay for all labor?

IMO you need to seriously consider control arm bushing and all given the age of the car.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand and how complete a rebuilt are you talking?
DIY then take it in for an alignment or pay for all labor?

IMO you need to seriously consider control arm bushing and all given the age of the car.
Yeah Control arm bushings are included. I guess I was a little too vague. I would purchase the springs, but have the shop do the rest, since I dont have a press or anything for the bushings, or spring compressors, or an air compressor...

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Let me say this from my experience buy the whole control arm from Moog. I had two sets of upper bushings installed and I have had to replace the upper arms. My upper arms are lifetime warrantied.

On my lower arms I have replaced their bushings with help from a friend. If they go bad again I will buy new lower arms as well.

The new arms will have new bushing and ball joints already installed.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me say this from my experience buy the whole control arm from Moog. I had two sets of upper bushings installed and I have had to replace the upper arms. My upper arms are lifetime warrantied.

On my lower arms I have replaced their bushings with help from a friend. If the go bad again I will buy new lower arms as well.

The new arms will have new bushing and ball joints already installed.
As much as I would like to, I can say that will not be in the budget. I drive Barricade about 50 miles a week now, so justifying that to my bride when we have a lot of other things to take care of, like down payment on a house, just wont fly.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
A quick trip over to rockauto for rod ends, adjusters, balljoints, center link and idler in all Delco was $280 haven't even gotten to bushings, swaybar endlinks, new upper control arm shafts maybe etc.

The pricing on new arms is not so bad I would look at it you should save some labor that way and maybe be a way you could do the labor yourself since they come with the bushings/shaft and balljoints The Dorman ones are $63 compared add up the cost of joints/shaft/bushings and I bet you are over $50 and by the time you pay someone with a press to swap it all into your crusty old control arm you will spend more.

If you want to drop this off and let someone else do all the work and use quality parts with you supplying only the springs I can easily see this going over $1000.

You are almost guaranteed to need new front shocks too more $$$.

I am not saying it is a bad idea or anything just trying to prepare you for the fact that to do all this well is going to be pricey compared to the value of the car. Don't get me wrong I have a heads/cam package worth more than the rest of the car if it were stock, same with the tranny/converter pair.

Is there a club or anything around that might have someone with better facilities than you who might be happy to help in exchange for a case of beer?

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the price I was figuring as well. There is one club in the area that I have heard about. I dont know any of the members. I might end up having my Brothers-in-law come over for the Labor. They are both pretty decent with a wrench. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
The point I was trying to make was the complete assembled arms are priced competitively once you compare the price of the joints, bushings etc. and an assembled arm you can easily put on rather than paying someone with a press to remove and rebuilt the current pieces.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The point I was trying to make was the complete assembled arms are priced competitively once you compare the price of the joints, bushings etc. and an assembled arm you can easily put on rather than paying someone with a press to remove and rebuilt the current pieces.
Yeah I got that. I will try to save some $$ and have my Bros help me. Pretty sure I can get them to work for Beer and BBQ.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Far as like the spring compressor, you disconnect the inside end of the arm and you can use a jack, or just "rent" from the parts store, most big chains have rental deals where you just pay for the tool up front and get a full refund when you return it. I even returned a broken tailpipe expander once and told them I was fine paying for it and they gave me my money back.

Reactions: Papa D

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Far as like the spring compressor, you disconnect the inside end of the arm and you can use a jack, or just "rent" from the parts store, most big chains have rental deals where you just pay for the tool up front and get a full refund when you return it. I even returned a broken tailpipe expander once and told them I was fine paying for it and they gave me my money back.
Hadn't thought of the tool rental thing. I might be able to do this myself after all. Thanks Dwayne.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
While the arms are off might I suggest considering new rubber engine mounts. I only say it because they are easiest with the lower arms disconnected at the inner side.

I think you could lift the engine off the mounts without disconnecting the exhaust or cooling system and get enough room. I had a wagon with a rusted out oilpan and I swapped the pan without disconnecting any of that stuff just lift pull the through bolts and lift more. If I got enough room for that I think you could swap the mounts. Stock like rubber mounts are cheap.

Reactions: Papa D

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Just be ready to take it to the alignment shop to have the new front end set. Still much cheaper if you can do most of the rest of the work yourself and/or with your bothers-in-law help.

Most auto parts stores also have other tools to rent that can help in this case. Including the ball joint and tie rod splitters.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
If you want to fall this off and let someone else do all the perform and use excellent areas with you providing only the rises I can quickly see this going over $1000.
:WTF: drugs or spam :WTF:

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
spammer on drugs :lol:

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol... thanks Tony. I have no idea what the hell that was! Good for a laugh, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts