Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There. I Have A Nice 64 Biscayne I Want To Restore. It Supposedly Has 57k Original Miles. I Wana Check To See If The Motor Is Original To The Car. Also , Is There Any Way To See How Many Were Made Like Mine???

Any Help Appreciated . Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They were all made the same. The Biscayne was pretty much a no option car. First thing you could do is look at the oil filter..is it a modern spin -on or a canister with the bolt going up thru the center. I'm not going to get into VIN's engine codes and that stuff because I don't know it all that well, plus unless you are going full-tilt restore for show & money I don't think it that important. If you are that worried about keeping it original, pull the engine and store it and throw a 350 crate in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill have to check out the oil filter then. i have a bunch of stuff on the hood .
and yeah i thought about putting a 350 in it but i really just want the car for cruising in it. plus the str8 six willget better gas mileage :biggrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did any 1964 biscaynes come in daytona blue???? because mine is currently white but the paint under it looks like a real nice blue that looks like that color. jw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where can i find the paint code??? i lifted up my hood and theres no tag on the firewall. my 64 chevelle wagon has one there , does the biscayne have it somewhere else?? or is it just missing???

·
Registered
828 Posts
ill have to check out the oil filter then. i have a bunch of stuff on the hood .
and yeah i thought about putting a 350 in it but i really just want the car for cruising in it. plus the str8 six willget better gas mileage :biggrin:
I seriously doubt that the L6 will, in real world conditions, get as good mileage as the V8.
You have to floor it too much.

My mother had a '75 Bobcat, the same as a Pinto, (now THERE'S a stellar vehicle) and brand new it got 15 mpg with a four cylinder engine. The same vehicle with the 6 cyl got way better mileage. With the 4 cyl you had to floor it everytime you left a stop.

The 6 cyl Chevy engines were heavy, dependable gas guzzlers. I grew up on them. That's all my Dad had in the 60's. It's a misconception that the 6's got better mileage than the 8's.

But they were smooth, rock solid and simple to work on. Maybe there's a later 70's HEI you could throw in there from a junkyard.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Follow up:

I didn't mean to knock the six, if that's in there I'd probably leave it at 57K miles and have fun with it 'cause they were cool and talk about room under the hood.

Also, probably my favorite book of all time is the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975.
Here's what it says about the 1964 Biscaynes:

It came in two series, Series 1100 (6 cyl) and Series 1200 (V8).
132,500 6 cyl were built
41,400 V8's were built
add to that
39,700 Biscayne wagons with 6 cyl
153,100 Biscaynne wagons with V8's

The 6 cyl wagon, all packed up with a roof rack going to the Grand Canyon, now we're talking 11 mpg highway, but at 25 cents a gallon...

Believe it or not, I found that the 4 barrel Rochester gave better mileage than the 2 barrel, I guess because it's smaller when only the primaries are open, plus you can swap the needles and get it running pretty miserly.

The price in 1964 for the 4 dr 6 cyl was $2,417.
I'll take two, nice car (except if it still has the single chamber brake master cylinder that always gave me the creeps).

I sure miss those crank operated ventipanes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Rock

Keep the inline 6
Much more fun to work on.
Very dependable.
If yours has the 2 speed powerglide, you can even push start it if needed.

I got much better MPG than those listed in my '66 Biscayne and my '37 with a '67 6 in it.
But I had other cars for street light excitement.

Did you get this for crusin? or street racing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts