Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you have old, faded tint, or got a tint ticket and need to take it off, you can save money by removing it yourself fairly easily. Here's how.

Things needed:
- Steam cleaner*
- Razor blade
- Water
- Trash bag

* I bought the steam cleaner I used here on Amazon for $27. It isn't the greatest. It has a very small capacity, so you have to re-fill it often. I found myself refilling it after each door window, and 3 or 4 times for the back window.

Step one:
Fill steam cleaner with water, plug it in, and wait for the water to heat up. The user manual should tell you the capacity and wait time.

Step two:
Roll the window down ~2 inches and cut a slit in the top of the tint with the razor blade. I found it helpful to separate the tint into 3 or 4 sections.

Step three:
Use steam from the steam cleaner to heat up the area around the slit, and move the razor blade under the edge of the tint, to lift it up.

Step four:
Use steam around the area of tint you just raised with the razor blade. Spray a good amount of steam on it to get the glue to warm up. Start pulling on the raised area of tint with your fingers.

Step five:
Slowly pull down a section of the film as you continue to spray steam on it. Be careful not to burn yourself. You can spray, then pull until you get a good enough piece going, and then spray continuously as you pull. Be careful to go very slowly, and watch the tint as it peels away from the window. The tint can leave small amounts of glue if not steamed enough. The tint also likes to come off about 1/2" very quickly (It will sound like pulling tape off of something) and this can leave glue on the window as well. Pull the tint until it reaches the bottom of the window.

Repeat step 5 for the other pieces of tint on the window.

Step six:
Roll the window all the way up, and then continue steaming and pulling the tint, until it comes all the way off of the window

Step seven:
Steam the freshly un-tinted glass with a fair amount of steam, and run the razor blade over the entire window, to get all of the glue that may have been left on the window (There shouldn't be much, but it happens). Roll the window down a couple inches, and steam and scrape the top area of the window as well.

Repeat for the rest of the door windows.

The process is similar for the quarter and rear glass, but instead of starting the tint with a slit, I find it easier to just steam the edge, and lift it up from a corner. The black coating on the edges of the glass make it easier to lift up.

Peel the quarter glass in one piece (very easy) and peel the rear glass in sections, using the razor blade to cut the tint (once it has already been lifted off the window) to keep the piece you are removing manageable. Go very slowly on the rear glass, as you can not scrape the glass easily, due to the defrost elements. Watch the tint as you remove it, and spot check for adhesive left behind. Be VERY careful with the razor, and don't get close to the elements if you are not confident!

Before:

Finished:

Reactions: kingnutin

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Had to strip it cuz I got a repair order

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
That's what exactly what happen to me last year, I had 20% 2 week later got pulled over for it, got a inspection ticket which I went and fail, had another chance to removed them pass it then same day put them back on but 35% this time.... I follow the same process except I used a heat gun and a spray bottle with water and soap in it.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm gunna retint them myself so I've gotta wait til I have enough time, and it's nice enough out lol

·
Cucky
662 Posts
I hate these stupid tint laws in every state. it should be allowed 20% on all windows but windshield no matter where you live.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate these stupid tint laws in every state. it should be allowed 20% on all windows but windshield no matter where you live.
I agree. 20% is in no way unsafe. If it was, they wouldn't put it on SUVs and minivans from the factory.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
I have to add I did have tints on my windshield 50%. Opps, I guess that's why I got pulled over, lol.... NOT, the cop didn't even notice it just at the inspection station they did.

This when it had 20% tint and 50% windshield on 20's:

I miss this look.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It sucks you had to do this but, at least we got a good write-up out of it :eek:k3: :clap:

Someday my windows will see tint :gaah: But, I am trying to be more focused on mechanical and minor exterior items right now. Big plans once the sun starts shinning

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
looks amazing. If I could thats what id get. :( parents wont even let me get fronts. Damnit. How was the visibility at night
It was good, it didn't bother me at all plus with the bright as hell HID it didn't felt like there was anything there. 50% is not dark at all.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've been in my buddy's car with 20% all around and 50% on the windshield. From inside, you can't even tell it's tinted. I had to look really close to notice it.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
thats what I thought. Could you tell from outside or did it just look like the tints were darker around the the car? Defs on my to do list

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
easy to tell from the outside.

With 20%, the majority of the light coming into your car is through the windshield. Although 50% is light, it blocks off a significant part of the light thats getting in through the windshield, and makes the inside of the car much darker. This gives all the windows (windshield included) a darker appearance

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
^ Yup! Even the cop that pulled me over didn't notice the the windshield tint until the inspection... but yeah you can't barely see in but you can clearly see out, felt kind of presidential, lol.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I need to get me a prescription... lol

20% all around, 50% windshield. Its the perfect amount.

·
Young Gun
3,907 Posts
My tint was already messed up on the windows so I got a razor blade and some stuff my dad got from the detailing guy from his work that removes window tint and I went at it and it came right off and I sprayed the stuff he got from work to get the stick residue and it came right off

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the steamer, virtually no residue :eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts