Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how to remove the OnStar antenna from the rear window of a 7th gen.

Here is what it looks like:

Materials needed:
- Heat gun
- Fish wire
- Razor blade
- Windex and/or
- Slip Solution*

*Slip solution is used for tinting. Put a couple drops of johnson&johnson baby shampoo in a spray bottle, and fill it with distilled water.

First, use a heat gun to heat up the adhesive under the antenna, and run some fish wire under the antenna to 'saw through' the adhesive. The antenna will come off like this:

Next, liberally spray the leftover adhesive with windex or slip solution. I used windex for this. Take a razor blade, and use it to 'shave' the adhesive off the glass, like so: (use more windex/slip as you need it)

Once the big piece of adhesive is gone, spray some more windex/slip and run the razor blade over all of the glass in the area around where the antenna used to be, to ensure you remove any remaining adhesive. Clean the area well. This is what you should be left with:

Now, we have to move on to the interior part of the antenna. First, we must remove the wire leading up to the interior part of the antenna. You can remove it by pulling on it straight out, like so:

You can tuck this wire away into the plastic trim pieces, like this:

Sorry, those are really hard to see. You can tuck them away so that you can't even tell it was there in the first place.

Next, heat up the adhesive using the heat gun from the outside of the window, like so:

Use the razor blad to pry up and edge of the antenna, then remove it carefully using a towel or something to prevent you from burning your hand. In order to get the adhesive hot enough to remove relatively easily, you need to get it very hot, which makes the plastic and the rest of the antenna very hot. This is what you're left with:

For the next step, I'm going to tell you what I did. Some people may not feel comfortable using a razor blade around heating elements, for good reason. If you aren't comfortable doing that, you should find another way of doing this, such as using an adhesive remover and scrubby pad (sort of like the scrubber side of a sponge, with no sponge attached. )

I use slip solution and carefully raze'd away the remaining adhesive, using a scrubby pad to thoroughly clean the elements.

You're done!

Before:

After:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Nice write up and Tony gets pics

Reactions: tonyc712000

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was that the Onstar antenna or a vintage mobile phone antenna?
It's the OnStar antenna from early 2000 gm vehicles. Mom's 01 LeSabre has one as well. Its the same technology as the cell phone antennas

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I am surprised mine doesn't have one. Yes, I have an onstar mirror and box in the trunk.

Kinda off topic: But, is onstar linked into the radio? Could I remove the onstar box in the trunk w/o issues? I have no need for onstar and why not just remove it?

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about removing the box, but I eventually will do it because that's where I want to put a sub

·
Banned
97 Posts
I am surprised mine doesn't have one. Yes, I have an onstar mirror and box in the trunk.

Kinda off topic: But, is onstar linked into the radio? Could I remove the onstar box in the trunk w/o issues? I have no need for onstar and why not just remove it?
You might as well remove it since on star is no longer functional on pre 2005 cars, unless you upgrade your system.

Who would want that shit anyways? It just a government tracking system anyways. Including speed,GPS location, seat belt usage and other information. This info is SOLD for profit to the government, local law enforcement & 3rd partys . Even if your service is not active.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You might as well remove it since on star is no longer functional on pre 2005 cars, unless you upgrade your system.

Who would want that shit anyways? It just a government tracking system anyways. Including speed,GPS location, seat belt usage and other information. This info is SOLD for profit to the government, local law enforcement & 3rd partys . Even if your service is not active.
Does your tin foil hat rub the headliner while you drive? :biggrin:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

I agree, also on old anlog phone network, all digital now so old sh&t does not work:eek:k3:

Does your tin foil hat rub the headliner while you drive? :biggrin:
Just because someone is paranoid don't mean somebody is not out to get you.:devil: If you knew half the stuff that is monitored by government and large companies( facebook, google, etc etc) you might rethink that statement. Me I drink a lot and give a lot of one finger waves to big brother.:yikes:

Reactions: RYD SLO

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree, also on old anlog phone network, all digital now so old sh&t does not work:eek:k3:

Just because someone is paranoid don't mean somebody is not out to get you.:devil: If you knew half the stuff that is monitored by government and large companies( facebook, google, etc etc) you might rethink that statement. Me I drink a lot and give a lot of one finger waves to big brother.:yikes:

I know they keep an eye on all types of things. Lol @ the rest :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts