Impala Forums banner

how to remove head rests?

14K views 20 replies 1 participant last post by  moneypit 
G
#1 ·
hey guys.... hopefully this is in teh right section...

i remember seeing a how to on the other forum but it is down... how do you remove the head rest safely from the Impala seats? i have a 96... thanks!

#2 ·
I used to remember something about making your own tool that has some kind of do-dad protrusions on either end, so you can stick this thing-a-ma-jiggy down the headrest hole to release and unlock your headrest do-hicky...or, you can just take a sawzaw and cut the F-er off.:biggrin:

G
#3 ·
hahaha! i am tempted.... i have the seat cover turned inside out with teh headrest still on....when i took it off of the other seat, i turned the cover inside out but had to break the plastic sleeves that the heardrest rods slide into (i was in a hurry)... how can i remove it without breaking those? i am going to go out and look at it again later up close....it was too ho today to be working in a black car!

#4 ·
Keep us posted with your progress. I'm eager to ditch my headrests too, except for when I go on roadtrips than I'll have to put it back in

G
#5 ·
will do...

btw....if any locals need parts, today is a good day to hit the yards out in riverside county...there are a ton of caprices out there. like i previously posted, there was a caprice with impala leather interior. i grabbed all of the good seat skins for $5 each but the seats are still there and 5 caprices and a few wagons with the rear luggage rolly cover thing and a ton of parts....pm me for directions to where they are at and i will give you the scoop.

G
#6 ·
wow....that was simple...my brain must have been fried earlier. another great "DER" moment for me.

anyway, i just twisted the plastic tubes (guides or whatever) about 90 degrees and the headrest slid right out of them. i know this doesn't help unless you have the seat cover rolled up....maybe someone can chime in with a way to remove them with the seat skins intact...i would still be curious to know that.

#7 ·
Ahhhh!...Say what?

When you pulled the headrest off, did the two metal spikes (or braces) come out with it? Or, did it stay in the seat (top part). I think I just confused my self....

What was I taliking about?...

....Nevermind,...Could you send me a pm on where to find this junk yard.

G
#8 ·
yes i will now..

as for the head rest, i just twisted the tubes and the headrest pulled out. i also switched over my seat back skin to a minty one i picked up today. the warm day made it super pliable and it only took me 15 minutes to swap out.

#9 ·
Ok. I'll check it out this weekend, or next weekend since I'm broke. But I will definitely try to get the headrest out, like you mentioned.

Thanks..:biggrin:

G
#10 ·
here is a pic of those plastic sleeves that the headrest tubes fit into...they just have to be rotated like 90 degrees or so.

i hear you about being broke! i have to limit myself on what i spend down there. i have a garage full of parts that i will probably never use but i want to build another caprice for my son or else i have to give him my car! the stuff over at the yard won't last long. i had a ton of stuff but when i saw the semi clone, i dropped everything and focused all of my strength on getting that stuff. there were a couple of the wagon toneau [sp?] cover thingies that i grabbed but put those aside....

#12 ·
I actually work in Diamond Bar and pass by part of Whitter on Harbor Blvd. going to and from work. Oh BTW, the photobucket pics you posted indicated it's been removed or deleted.

#14 · (Edited)
Ironically, I haven't yet. But, I have eaten at the Big Boys in Burbank, during one of there Friday night rallies:biggrin:

#16 ·
Well,..when I first moved here, a friend of mine took me to Big Boy's out there. And, so I guess, every Friday night they have a, "bring your ride and park", sort of thing. I just labled it as a rally. I really don't belong to a club out here yet. I've been trying look into some local b-body clubs by sending IM's to guys on the forum. But, it seems like not alot people are intrested in talking. So,..for now I'm Lone-Wolfing it.

#18 ·
It's been a while since I posted you back moneypit. Ive been meaning to ask you, do you go to b-body functions or get togethers around here in the socal area? Next week, I gotta take my Caprice to Bates, to replace the Opti that crapped-out on me.

G
#19 ·
no i havent but want to soon. i am going to be painting my car soon but after that i will.

are you going to drive up to bates? i have to go up there one day....i hear it is a candy store!

#20 ·
I'll be dropping if off not this weekend, but next weekend. And, check by there on a Monday and Tuesday. Yeah, he's got a lot of stuff in that shop. it seems, he's always got some kind of clearance sale going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.