Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Impalas. One is a 2019 Premier that I love and one I just inherited. It is a 2003 Impala LS with every option except sunroof. It was my neighbors who just passed and she was a snowbird (we live in Northern Ohio). She spent much of the year in Florida. She purchased it brand new from the dealer and it has never spent a night outside a garage. The real unique situation is it only has 9,700 miles on it. Yes, under 10,000 original miles and it looks like new inside and out. It has never seen snow, ice or salt. I just had it serviced with all fluids replaced including brake, transmission, antifreeze and power steering plus a 4 wheel alignment. It also has newer tires and battery. It was strange to replace tires with just 8,000 miles on them but they were 15 years old at that time.

I really love this car but don't have a need for another sedan. I am trying to figure out a price but have absolutely nothing to compare it to due to the mileage and excellent condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have two Impalas. One is a 2019 Premier that I love and one I just inherited. It is a 2003 Impala LS with every option except sunroof. It was my neighbors who just passed and she was a snowbird (we live in Northern Ohio). She spent much of the year in Florida. She purchased it brand new from the dealer and it has never spent a night outside a garage. The real unique situation is it only has 9,700 miles on it. Yes, under 10,000 original miles and it looks like new inside and out. It has never seen snow, ice or salt. I just had it serviced with all fluids replaced including brake, transmission, antifreeze and power steering plus a 4 wheel alignment. It also has newer tires and battery. It was strange to replace tires with just 8,000 miles on them but they were 15 years old at that time.

I really love this car but don't have a need for another sedan. I am trying to figure out a price but have absolutely nothing to compare it to due to the mileage and excellent condition.

Any help would be appreciated.
My first thought was $6000. But Kelley Blue Book says $1800-$4400. That may seem like a wide price range, but at 17 years old, there's a lot of variability with age.

It sounds like a genuine cherry, so it should command top price for its age and mileage. But it's still 17 years old. Despite being garaged, the plastic and other materials have still aged some.

Based on all that, I would ask for 5 or 6k, and hope to get somewhere around $4000.

YMMV.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought was $6000. But Kelley Blue Book says $1800-$4400. That may seem like a wide price range, but at 17 years old, there's a lot of variability with age.

It sounds like a genuine cherry, so it should command top price for its age and mileage. But it's still 17 years old. Despite being garaged, the plastic and other materials have still aged some.

Based on all that, I would ask for 5 or 6k, and hope to get somewhere around $4000.

YMMV.

Doug

Thanks Doug, that sounds about right. And that is true with 17 years old a lot of rubber and plastic parts are old. But with no exposure to UV light as the garage had no windows near the car, they are surprisingly clean of any wear, fading or even brittleness. I will try and take some pictures to show the actual condition.

I appreciate your honest reply and checking the Blue Book. I found that too but can't locate anything near this mileage and condition anywhere in the nation to really gauge its value.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
Honestly I would be happy to recoup what it cost for the services you had done, that couldn't be cheap.
They were a dime a dozen commuter car, no real enthusiast following.

My wife had an 03 was an amazingly reliable, cheap on the rare occasion it needed repairs. Put 235k on it and sold it still running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I would be happy to recoup what it cost for the services you had done, that couldn't be cheap.
They were a dime a dozen commuter car, no real enthusiast following.

My wife had an 03 was an amazingly reliable, cheap on the rare occasion it needed repairs. Put 235k on it and sold it still running.
Thanks for your input Dwayne. I get they are pretty basic sedans and not a big following but that is why I wanted to get some advice from Impala people!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My biggest concern as a buyer of a vehicle like that would be seals/bearings/orings that are supposed to be oil lubricated that might be drying out. I suppose as long as the vehicle was driven at least a few times a year, and not just stored for a bunch of years without driving it would probably be okay. I agree that the $4k mark is probaly not too far off.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
The few cases I have known of folks buying ultra low mile cars and beginning to drive them went poorly. With the cars needing a lot of repairs fairly quickly, of course after they sunk that cash into the cars they did have nice clean cars with great paint and interior, but they were surprised with a bunch of repairs.

Everyone and their brother bought the 90s Impalas with the idea of sitting on the "last of the Impalas" and flipping it for a profit. So 10-15 years later it was actually fairly easy to find cars with less than 10k on them, so we could see guys buying "new old" cars and trying to drive them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My biggest concern as a buyer of a vehicle like that would be seals/bearings/orings that are supposed to be oil lubricated that might be drying out. I suppose as long as the vehicle was driven at least a few times a year, and not just stored for a bunch of years without driving it would probably be okay. I agree that the $4k mark is probaly not too far off.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya reubenswinks. It's one of the reasons I don't want to hang on to it yet it is in amazing, like new condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Shelia. I have seen a lot of cars for $3995 or even $4995 on used lots with 150K miles (or more) on them with beat up interiors... particularly the drivers seat mashed down on the outside edge. They leak oil and who knows what other fluids. And the tires hardly ever match with 3 or all 4 tires with different treads and brands. Even 8 to 10 grand hardly buys much these days. I appreciate all the input and will decide soon on what to do.

I did have my local Goodyear shop do a full fluid flush on transmission, brakes, antifreeze and power steering. They also did a 4 wheel alignment and replaced all filters. They couldn't find any issues and no leaks. That was done in May.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The problem with buying any used car is - you just don’t know where it’s been or who’s been touching it ... that’s why my last used car was purchased in 1988! After that, I always bought new, and only vehicles with less than 50 miles on the odometer. That way, me and only me ever touches my cars. Too many clowns out there. And then people do innocent things like drive over curbs, or pour the wrong fluids in, or drive on low oil ... anything’s possible with a used car. Can even get in a wreck today, have it fixed like showroom condition, and then sell it before CarFax even knows anything about it!

But people always get caught up in what a vehicle looks like instead of carefully analyzing the major components where a mistake or oversight could cost them hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to correct.

You’re better off buying a car with chipped paint and torn seats (but a well-maintained engine and transmission that checks out) than a showroom-condition car with a hidden defect.

Now ... this vehicle may very well check out and actually be a “cream puff”, but the buyer still needs to do a rigorous inspection to make sure. Anyone should do this for any used car to protect themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem with buying any used car is - you just don’t know where it’s been or who’s been touching it ... that’s why my last used car was purchased in 1988! After that, I always bought new, and only vehicles with less than 50 miles on the odometer. That way, me and only me ever touches my cars. Too many clowns out there. And then people do innocent things like drive over curbs, or pour the wrong fluids in, or drive on low oil ... anything’s possible with a used car. Can even get in a wreck today, have it fixed like showroom condition, and then sell it before CarFax even knows anything about it!

But people always get caught up in what a vehicle looks like instead of carefully analyzing the major components where a mistake or oversight could cost them hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to correct.

You’re better off buying a car with chipped paint and torn seats (but a well-maintained engine and transmission that checks out) than a showroom-condition car with a hidden defect.

Now ... this vehicle may very well check out and actually be a “cream puff”, but the buyer still needs to do a rigorous inspection to make sure. Anyone should do this for any used car to protect themselves.
Excellent points Colt Hero. I agree with you on most but I have had pretty good luck with buying slightly used cars and having minimal problems. Like you said, the buyer needs to have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic or someone who know what to look for. I have found that if the vehicle looks good they likely took good care of the mechanical side of it as well. Receipts showing what was done with dates and mileage is hard to beat for proof of proper maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts