Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are many things you can do, and time is a good thing, so you can save up for some more expensive things. The most power to dollar ratio would prolly be a nitrous kit.

I would need to know more about how much you wnat to spend. Get your cars computer tuned for more performance.

The first place I would start is the exhaust. get rid of your stock pipes and get an aftermarket kit with some headers.

Headers can run from a couple hundred bucks to over a grand, but like most things you get whay you pay for. I went with the $1200 headers and they installed easy and work awesome.

Here are some links for mods:
http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Products/Exhaust/Headers.htm

http://www.focuztech.com/xcart/home.php

http://www.streettrendsinc.com/

You cant go wrong with a set of underdrive pullys and a rear end gear change.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have anyother questions or ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx Heavy_SS ill try those sites out see wat i can afford and yah ill hit u up if i need anymore help

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you still have the home plate on the intake, you can take that off and plug the hole with a chrome grant horn button. You can also clean up the other part of the intake with some pvc pipe from home depot. that should only run you about 20 bucks, and it will wake it up a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HP

Get a ram air kit,powerchip,headers
if i was you i would just go for a supercharger they are expensive but worth it especially wen you see the face of a mustang owner after you beat them by a mile and meet up at the next stop light their just in shock of a 5300 pound car going that fasstt

·
Registered
483 Posts
Get a ram air kit,powerchip,headers
if i was you i would just go for a supercharger they are expensive but worth it especially wen you see the face of a mustang owner after you beat them by a mile and meet up at the next stop light their just in shock of a 5300 pound car going that fasstt
5300 lbs? Holy criz-ap!!! Do you weigh 1000 lbs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
... must be more gravity in Cali. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My fault guys meant to say 4300

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would add a RAISS CAI and a cat-back exhaust, then have someone do the tuning with LT1 Edit, Don't forget to add a Stealth Bolt to get you car to stop properly also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What are stealth bolts and how do they make the car stop better ? I really on good rotors/pads/tires/shocks.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
A SStealth bolt is specific to 94-96 b body or smiliar with 4 wheel abs. It takes the factory brake ratio of about 90/10 (front/rear) and makes it about 70-30 or better which makes for a more uniform stop with much less nose dive and is good for those of us who try and break the sound barrier :biggrin: It does nothing but help out your brake system, the ONLY I can think of is that this will not be good if you tend to power brake it at lights (hold the brake while giving it gas to smoke the tires) alot as the rear rotors are smaller than the front and will be getting more braking power.

Again, no problem at all if you dont do this very often. Worst case scenario, you buy pads for the rear a little sooner if you power brake lightly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
^^^+1

I wouldn't recommend the stealth bolt if you have drums in the rear; but it really is a no-brainer if your car is equipped with rear discs. Unless, like Mr. Bates mentioned, you do a ton of brake stands. If that's the case, I still recommend the stealth bolt, just add a line lock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 96 Impala so it has 4 discs (brand new with 250miles on them) so this would apply to my car. I also drive like an old man so I have actually never done a burnout. Just hard acceleration and passing a few times. I am just never in that much of a hurry and I am not interested in any attention.

Would a regular mechanic know what the part was and how to install it properly ? More power is nice on this car but brakes are life and death and I wouldn't want a mechanic to guess at stuff like this.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 96 Impala so it has 4 discs (brand new with 250miles on them) so this would apply to my car. I also drive like an old man so I have actually never done a burnout. Just hard acceleration and passing a few times. I am just never in that much of a hurry and I am not interested in any attention.

Would a regular mechanic know what the part was and how to install it properly ? More power is nice on this car but brakes are life and death and I wouldn't want a mechanic to guess at stuff like this.
Ben13, I did this to my car about 5 years ago and it IS worth doing. If I remeber correctly on the master cylinder there is a bolt on the front that looks similar to the stealth brake bolt. Open the master cylinder and remove as much of the old brake fluid as possiable. Avoid spilling as much as you can. You have to do a full brake fluid change also.

Behind the stock bolt is a spring and (help me here Mr. Bates automotive) a valve. Remove those and install the new bolt. and refill the resivoir and bleed the air out of the lines. You will notice a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts