Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this mentioned but after some experimenting I found a method that worked in the past that also works on these cars.

There are two lines that connect the trans to the trans cooler. The line that enters the trans horizontally is the return line to the trans.

1) Drop the pan and service the trans as you normally would and reassemble.
2) Disconnect the trans cooler return line at the trans and attach a 3/8" or so rubber hose to the line.
3) Start the car and let it idle, the trans fluid will pump out of the hose at a (very) approximate rate of 30 seconds per 2 quarts.
4) After removing the first 2 quarts shut engine off and add 2 quarts of fluid.
5) Repeat until trans fluid running from hose looks clean, the difference is pretty obvious and from what I saw it happened over the course of several seconds (i.e. it doesn't happen gradually.

Don't forget to reconnect the trans cooler line. I did and ended up with a 1 gallon mess that cost me $17 and another trip to Walmart.:crying

One might also consider replacing the trans cooler fitting seals since those are known trouble items and are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this for the 6 spd or 4 spd? And for whichever it is, can it be done to the other?
My bad, I did it on my 4 speed auto. I won't speak for a 6 speed one way or another but I don't think it would be too hard to figure out. I actually asked about this quite a while back but I didn't get anything back that was directly helpful. I'd specifically asked which line was which line was which on the trans to cooler connections. When I changed some leaky fitting seals on the lines I left the vertically attached line disconnected from the tranny and put it in an oil container and started the engine. I ended up making a small mess in the driveway from the fluid shooting out of the tranny (instead of from the line and into the oil container) but at least I had my answer.

On a 4 speed car the fluid enters the bottom of the trans cooler and exits the top. I don't know if a 6 speed uses the same methodology but that's how I would formulate my guess. It's 50/50 on whether you guess right or not but you're 100% guaranteed to get your answer.:eek:k3:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think flushes are recommended on the 6 speed trannies in the 2012 + Impalas.Just draining the fluid will result in approx. 4.5 qts of the 5.3 qt. capacity. I am comfortable with less than a quart of old fluid remaining.If you aren't then drain,fill,and drive awhile,then drain and refill again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think flushes are recommended on the 6 speed trannies in the 2012 + Impalas.Just draining the fluid will result in approx. 4.5 qts of the 5.3 qt. capacity. I am comfortable with less than a quart of old fluid remaining.If you aren't then drain fill and drive awhile,then drain and refill again.
That seems reasonable. The 4 speed trans has considerably more fluid and considerably less fluid (percentage wise) gets removed by just dropping the pan. The main concern is keeping the TPS clean on a 4sp so that an otherwise serviceable trans isn't completely sidelined by an expensive to access part. The maintenance of changing fluid every 40k isn't that big of a deal and it definitely isn't that much more work to change all of the fluid instead of just dropping the pan.

...I wish I would have added a shift kit when I had mine apart as well, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Add a real Boss Products Magnefine R038M filter to the trans cooler return line using 3/8" German Fuel Injection Clamps and SAE J1532-AT hose. DO NOT use SAE J30R9 fuel hose. It will delaminate and spew fragments through your transmission.
SAE J1532 executive summary.

Add a drain plug to the pan and change the strainer out with a brand new WIX or AC Delco part. Drain the pan and replace the magnefine filter every oil change. You'll never need to drop the transmission pan again.

The magnet in the magnfine filter will catch more of the fine iron dust than any of the pan magnet schemes. The 25 micron paper filter will catch the non ferrous stuff and is fine enough that there will no longer be particles large enough to get caught in the 110 micron strainer. Drain the pan and change the filter just like the engine oil. Refill with Dexron VI.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Add a real Boss Products Magnefine R038M filter to the trans cooler return line using 3/8" German Fuel Injection Clamps and SAE J1532-AT hose. DO NOT use SAE J30R9 fuel hose. It will delaminate and spew fragments through your transmission.
SAE J1532 executive summary.

Add a drain plug to the pan and change the strainer out with a brand new WIX or AC Delco part. Drain the pan and replace the magnefine filter every oil change. You'll never need to drop the transmission pan again.

The magnet in the magnfine filter will catch more of the fine iron dust than any of the pan magnet schemes. The 25 micron paper filter will catch the non ferrous stuff and is fine enough that there will no longer be particles large enough to get caught in the 110 micron strainer. Drain the pan and change the filter just like the engine oil. Refill with Dexron VI.
Thanks for that as I will be installed a trans cooler, shift kit and now this as well. I plan on purchasing the tru cool cooler from [email protected], I wasn't sure if the hose that came with it was good or if I would need to use a different kind, he said it comes with everything needed for the install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that as I will be installed a trans cooler, shift kit and now this as well. I plan on purchasing the tru cool cooler from [email protected], I wasn't sure if the hose that came with it was good or if I would need to use a different kind, he said it comes with everything needed for the install.
If you have any links regarding (cooler kit mostly) these parts I'd be interested. Also, are you working with him for a shift kit that actually firms up the shifts as well?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you have any links regarding (cooler kit mostly) these parts I'd be interested. Also, are you working with him for a shift kit that actually firms up the shifts as well?
Daves' outfit. TEP has LPD cooler kits. The TEP coolers are better than the stock 9C1 units.
Transmission Fluid Coolers
If you want maximum efficiency the oil needs to flow bottom to top. If the fittings are on top then it's devil may care.

If you can find a Gen 8 9C1 in a salvage yard you can liberate the cooler and lines for not much money. New 2012 coolers with mounting bracket will cost just over $100 the 2006-2011 4T65E is the same part but costs $300. I've had both in my hands. The mounting holes are in the rad support and the coolers will fit from 2006- 2012 Impala & 2013-2016 Impala Limited.
Again. If you want maximum efficiency the oil needs to flow bottom to top. This means you'll need to use the 2012 rad to cooler line and make up a hybrid consisting of the hose to transmission half of the return already on your 4T65 and the external cooler to hose half of the 2012 6T70 return line. You can join them with a magnefine or spin on filter.
Obviously the 4T65E and the 6T70 use different lines.

2012-2016 Impala & Impala Limited 6T70

2006-2011 Impala 4T65E NOTE: The external cooler flows the wrong direction from the rad to external cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts