Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how do you dye interior parts of a 77-90 caprice. I want the 90 Brougham LS leather seats for my upcoming '77 caprice, door panels, and inside pillars dyed GM Oyster color. How do you dyed them or is there is a professional that does it?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Well, you can paint it with a leather painting product, and also paint the other plastic/vinyl components. It is a DIY product, but it can turn out professional if done right.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a company that sells these products?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Like brand? Or what? I think you can just pick it up at like Autozone or something. I think SEM sells something.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't matter which brand of interior dye as long as its good quality. I'm looking for the Gm oyster color, the color they used in the late 70s corvettes. I checked out SEM, they're expensive and to paint the panels, seats, and pillars, will take a lot of cans. I wish the seat covers could be dipped in dye instead.

·
Registered
997 Posts
VHT makes a great dye as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the pretty good?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
This is an up coming project for my door panels. I have been told to buy the dye not the paint. The dye soak into the vinyl and the paint only goes on top. Find out from a few independent body shops where they get their paint from and then talk to those people about the dye.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is an up coming project for my door panels. I have been told to buy the dye not the paint. The dye soak into the vinyl and the paint only goes on top. Find out from a few independent body shops where they get their paint from and then talk to those people about the dye.
Kenny, I would be so excited to see your dyed panels when you get it done. What color are you looking into?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
^ Tony I plan on dyeing them a Dark Blue to match my new seats. It may be a few more months yet before I can get to this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dark blue is a nice color, Kenny. Unfortunately it's only good on old school cars. Modern cars with dark blue or blue interior is kinda ugly now.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Not really, today car makers have "told" us what to buy by only having 1, 2, or 3 color options. Been this way for several years now. But I have seen custom done interiors that blend very well with the exterior color. The only reason we only have the few choice in colors now is that it saves the manufacture money by having less colors to keep in stock, and these colors today cost less to produce than the blues, reds and such.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really, today car makers have "told" us what to buy by only having 1, 2, or 3 color options. Been this way for several years now. But I have seen custom done interiors that blend very well with the exterior color. The only reason we only have the few choice in colors now is that it saves the manufacture money by having less colors to keep in stock, and these colors today cost less to produce than the blues, reds and such.
Oh I see. Well, i've always like the basic colors, tan, gray, and black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts