Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna check my timing on my 96 ss impala. how hard is it and does anyone have a guide or a walk through with picso n how to do it that they have done??? and help is appreciated thanks alot:wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
100% computer controlled.

If someone is ham fisted and stupid they can install the distributor 120degrees out other than that it is not mechanically adjustable. Unless you buy the MSD distributor, which is a VERY bad idea. Let me stress VERY BAD IDEA. It is far less reliable than stock with no real benefit despite what the advertizements say.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
100% computer controlled.

If someone is ham fisted and stupid they can install the distributor 120degrees out other than that it is not mechanically adjustable. Unless you buy the MSD distributor, which is a VERY bad idea. Let me stress VERY BAD IDEA. It is far less reliable than stock with no real benefit despite what the advertizements say.
^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he said.

I noticed you have asked alot of questions about things to do to your Imp. When you get back take a drive out to our shop and lets have a look at your car-no charge and see what you have to work with and answer more of your questions while we are checking it out for you. Plus you can check out all the impala and caprice cars we have here and see what other people have done to them to give you further ideas. We usually have 6-12 here at any given time.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Seeing some cars in person would be wonderful research.

·
Registered
574 Posts
^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he said.

I noticed you have asked alot of questions about things to do to your Imp. When you get back take a drive out to our shop and lets have a look at your car-no charge and see what you have to work with and answer more of your questions while we are checking it out for you. Plus you can check out all the impala and caprice cars we have here and see what other people have done to them to give you further ideas. We usually have 6-12 here at any given time.
Now that is excellent customer service!!! jray, drive there and talk to him. He will help you out and make sure you are on the right path.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
nah.... just means he's hurting for work! HAHA, jk

I guess compared to all the FWD crap breaking down VS all our cars still on the road after 1,2,300,000 miles, yeah were hurting :biggrin:

On a serious note, its something we do for just about anyone. We do not charge diagnostic fees like everyone else,we dont charge to rack the car and find whats wrong with it or any other bullshit people do. Its just the way we do business, the same way we have forever.

On a rare occasion when someone comes in with a god complex, then we might charge a $25 diagnostic fee mainly for having to put up with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer to Missouri, I'd have your shop look over why mine sometimes "stick" in high gear.

Not to hijack someone's thread, but occasionally, after sitting idling for a minute or two, when I go to drive away, it's like it's stuck in high gear.At first, the speedo will read 0 mph, and it's like it stays in low, then suddenly, it will shift up, with a neck-breaking jerk, and after that, it's sluggish as a Civic with 3 plug wires off.

However, if I pull over, shut the engine off, and wait a few seconds before starting up again, it runs fine afterwards.

When the car was new it done it, and my grandparents had it to the shop a dozen times...and nothing was ever resolved about it.

It's got 70,000 adult driven miles. Again, it's not a major problem, but I'd like to ensure the trans lasts as long as it can. Fluid is good, doesn't smell burnt, etc.

Sorry for the derail :biggrin: (yeah, shoulda made my own post!)

btw, car is a '94 Caprice Classic with the L99...if this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he said.

wow i really wish u were closer. ur by L.A. right? next time i make a trip down to southern cali ill have to give you a ring. and I am allready back from Iraq. home sweet home where its not 138 degrees lol :eek::biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts