Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an HID Conversion kit on my headlights but I need to disable the auto-on function since the wattage to start the lamps is lower when the auto-on function activates upon starting the vehicle. The HID's fire up just fine when I turn the headlight knob to on. The HID's require more power to start both lamps so I desperately need directions on how to disable the auto-on function for my 2006 Impala.

I have tried removing two fuses labeled DRL-1 and DRL-2, assuming they were for "daytime running lights", but removing the fuses didn't change a thing. I can only assume that there is a relay box for the auto-on headlights that I just haven't located. Please Help!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever find the answer to this question? Im trying to find a similar resolve to my 2005 Impala. Putting the relay fuses didnt work, bending pins in the relay didnt work. Im installing CCFL and do not want the CCFLs on all the time. They are suppose to be wired into the paring lights, but those are allways on..Id rather not by the bypass harness made to work for this problem. I am out of options though....+

·
Registered
166 Posts
Answer:
1. Get in car, sit in driver's seat.
2. Put key in ignition switch but do not yet rotate the key.
3. With left hand, rotate lightswitch knob counterclockwise until it stops and hold in that position.
4. Ignite engine (at key position).
5. Release light swith (reference: see item #3).
6. Notice that lights had never been on.
7. Put transmission in gear and drive happily away with no lights.
8. When on the road after the above tasks had been completed you can:
a. Rotate light switch counterclockwise again and release for
automatic lighting mode OR
b. Rotate light switch clockwise for manual mode, parking lights
or headlights.

Note: When lights are on and you are in gear and driving you can turn lights on or off at any time. Safe Driving.:yahoo:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this a bit of an old thread, but didn't feel I should start a new one. Will this permanently disable the automatic lights or do you have to do this each and every time you get in the car?

I disable my DRL lights, but my automatic lights still turn the lights on at dusk and night. These are bad for the HIDs.

If there is a way to permanently remove the automatic light sensor on the dashboard, please let me know?

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Auto headlights are fine for HIDs. DRLs are not because they are your headlights at a reduced level. So if you have disabled your DRLs already , you don't need to do anything else. :)

Reactions: ChvyMan06

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Also, if you have issues with the auto-on not providing enough current, you really should be running relay harnesses.

Reactions: ChvyMan06

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and get a 5 pack of the 2.2k ohm 1/2w 5% resistors. $1.50 plus tax.

Remove the drive side A frame pillar cover and the dash panel under the windshield. Take the resistor and put it into the bottom of the light sensor and tape it off. This will trick the computer into thinking it is day time all the time.

The only noticeable difference is when you actually turn on the headlights and dim them, the odometer and radio do not dim. Otherwise, you have complete control of your own headlights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually, HIDs require LESS power to start run/start up than your normal headlight due to the current limiting ballasts that are required when installing HIDs. And you can "shut off" this "auto light" feature by simply covering the headlamp light sensor located somewhere near the front of the windshield on the inside of the vehicle , near the defrost vent. Looks like a little black/purpleish dome. Covering will make your car think it is night time and your lights will be on any time the car is running, this "solves" the "highbeam" out warning on the cluster and you never have to worry about your lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts