Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I believe that the idle is controlled through the ECM.
Not sure you can bump it up without a lap top or access somehow to the parameters within the program.
Dealer service diagnostics "thingy: perhaps.

Why you want it up ?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Idle is controlled by the pcm, vacuum, and idle air control valve. If idle is abnormaly low, check for vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, and clean the IAC.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Only way a dealer could do this is if there was a TSB or something with new programming because GM was convinced the idle was too low..

As said the computer would need to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i crimped an e-clip (open faced tiny washer) onto the end of the throttle cable to take up a 16th of an inch of slack and i think that did the trick. whats the normal idle speed on this car?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
why are we going to answer when you wont listen?

You didn't raise the idle, you held the throttle open so far as the computer is concerned it is never at idle anymore. There is a part called the IAC valve that meters idle air. On newer stuff with drive by wire sometimes they use the throttle blades for idle control but not on cable driven TBs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why are we going to answer when you wont listen?

You didn't raise the idle, you held the throttle open so far as the computer is concerned it is never at idle anymore. There is a part called the IAC valve that meters idle air. On newer stuff with drive by wire sometimes they use the throttle blades for idle control but not on cable driven TBs.
hey calm down. i was listening. and i thank you for your replies. why can i adjust my idle on a motorcycle with a screw but you are saying this its not possible with this car?

in this link rich04impala shows a torx screw that appears to be located in such a manner that it would adjust the idle. is this not true then?....

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...easing-the-idle-speed-2004-3-4l-impala-2.html

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good link Josh! So that's how "idle" works. The ecm doesn't think you are idle anymore if you shorten up that cable; it thinks you are accelerating ever so slightly, probably according to the TPS (throttle position sensor).

So you won't get that conservative fuel usage at "idle" that you are used to,, most likely.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The reason you can adjust the idle on a motorcycle that way is the same reason I can do it on my car, it's a carburetor. The idle on your engine is computer controlled. If it is idling normally, and you just want it bumped, get it tuned. If it is idling too low, time for diagnostics!

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
By tweaking the wire, you covered up the problem. The low idle is still there. I'd get it fixed! By the way, where's your cars pics??????:eek:k3:

·
Registered
314 Posts
If your idle is giving you problems, maybe clean the IAC and the TPS w/ some sensor cleaner?

Do you have an aftermarket intake? Those high flow filters could be letting a bit more dirt through and slowly dirtying up your sensors.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you will laugh when i tell you why i want to adjust idle a bit....

by the way the car actually runs great. everything is clean and running perfect. i changed the stock rubber dog bone motor mounts to the poly ones and the vibration is transferred to the cabin quite terribly when the idle settles down to its normal 600 or so. i noticed when i hit the gas just a tad and rev it up about 200 rpm or so the vibrations cease....

i like the poly mounts but hate the vibrations and im definitely not going to take them out. they were a pain. i thought a quick idle adjustment would make things happy again.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Ah, well... Overkill raises the idle a tad, so something to consider...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
A common problem with poly mounts. Sure they stiffen things up a bit but, you likely would have been better off with shorter dog bones and using stock rubber.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Get you a FWI an exhaust system and a tune. That should fix your problems... Call it a day :eek:k3:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bent the metal bracket that holds the throttle cable back a hair just enough to raise the "idle" 50-100 rpms. seems to have worked flawlessly. all i really needed. car's not worth a tune with 205k miles on it.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
under $200 to improve mileage, power, shifting and transmission life is a fair trade. Many people have done the tune with high mileage. Ask kingnuttin about his fleet vehicles...

But, whatever floats your boat :eek:k3:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
under $200 to improve mileage, power, shifting and transmission life is a fair trade. Many people have done the tune with high mileage. Ask kingnuttin about his fleet vehicles...

But, whatever floats your boat :eek:k3:
i dont think its as easy as forking over 200 bucks. i 've done research. swap it out. send it back. re-install. and then i've heard of issues with the [SIZE=-1]Security Relearn Procedure[SIZE=-1]. have any experience?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts