Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Impala LS. Picture attached is of battery positive terminal (color curves poorly adjusted to better see the terminal). I've never seen a positive wire terminal quite like this one. Most of the top post terminals I've seen are like this one from autozone. I've seen post adapters for these that replace the main nut for easy installation of an extra wire.

But this one, I thought the nut on the terminal would come completely off and I might be able to use it directly, but it doesn't appear to screw all the way off the bolt.

What am I missing? It's probably going to be a face-palming simple solution, but I'm a bit stumped right now. The best solution I have is to replace it with a different terminal like the Autozone one, but I prefer to keep it stock if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A guy at a local car audio shop thought the terminal in my car is aftermarket. I ended up walking out with a Kicker battery clamp to replace what's on the car. It was a bit of an impulse buy because I was out of options as far as I could figure (other than a cheaper, standard top post terminal); luckily the Kicker clamp gets excellent reviews online. We shall see.:beer:

·
Vader
353 Posts
looks like you could have used a terminal and just tighten the bolt on the terminal
Yep. Remove that bolt on the side and tie into that spot. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an older post, but can anyone report success from attaching a wire to that bolt on the side? I have system that just does not want to work correctly (tried different amps, perfect ground, subs are wired correctly for continuity/polarity, checked battery voltage to be 12.6v, amp just turns on then into some sort of protect mode) I used a ring terminal to tie into this bolt on the side, maybe it's not getting enough power?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
How the heck do you connect your amp wire to the battery? Reply to Thread

I can confirm that it works for me. I have mine connected to that little bolt along with a wiring harness for my HID's. Works perfect for me. Running about 14.7 volts during start up and about 14 when driving. What exactly is not right about your system? Also where do you have it grounded?

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
I too am using that side bolt for my amp wire and HID wiring, and the big 3 wiring that requires thicker wire to the alternator.

Could be a bad ground that sends the amp into protect mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a bolt/nut in the trunk above the right wheel well that I was using. I have also pulled up the carpet in the trunk, used a wheel grinder to remove the paint and used a self tapping screw to create a ground. Both had the same effect.

I have a 2012 LT btw

·
3,934 Posts
Try lowering the gain all the way down and see if it goes into protect mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doesn't matter what I set the amp to, still does the same thing.

It kills me because I have put in several systems like this before in different vehicles with no issues at all, but this car seems to be cursed or something.

·
3,934 Posts
Are the fuses on the amp blown? Even if they dont look blown the resistance can be shorted.

When testing the volts was the stereo on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is where I had mine hooked up (red circle with arrow). I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a good power connection from the battery, if the remote wire would send just enough power to turn it on but be in a protection mode with no output. Maybe someone with more knowledge and/or experience can answer that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just tested the voltage of that screw and nut on the side and got low and variable readings while holding the probe completely still. When I put the probe on the clamp that goes around the post on the battery, I got a pretty consistent 12.6v. This has to be the source of my problem. I'm sure if the amp is being fed lower changing voltage, it will go into a protection mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts