Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Every oil change.

See the thing is your oil could probably last more than one oil change but its your filter that really needs to get changed.

But oil being so cheap and so vital its better to change them both out and keep your car running the best you can.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
Every change .....or if you drive on mostly dirt roads then twice per oil change.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Every 3000 miles with oil change

·
Registered
641 Posts
Every time you change your oil, change that filter!! Even those out their that do extended oil change intervals change that filter every 3 - 5K miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
oil change

If you have the money, don't. Just change the car when it stops running :giggle: seriously, everytime you change the oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you have an oil filter like Amsoil, every other oil change. Otherwise, change with every oil change. It's better to pay a few bucks now then a whole lot more later. Just saying...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Every oil change. Even a premium filter is what, $15? Changed every 3 months, $60 a year. Using premium synthetic oil, $60 in oil every 3 months. My impala holds six quarts of oil.

That adds up to $300 every year, or $25 a month. I spend way more than that every month just ordering coffee somewhere (Actually I spend $75 a month doing that). The miles I put on, that works out to 4 pennies a mile. I did ask at the dealership and the direct injected motor in my Impala is around five grand. That jives with this site

3.6 Ltr - 220 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 2012-2013 New 12652804

Of course, there is labour to do the swap, say another grand. Straight division works out to 20 years. I could play around with a spreadsheet to factor in inflation and devaluation of our currency, but that number is close enough.

My folks had a 1980 Ford F-150 4x2 that they bought new in Canada. They drove it from a cabin near Kenora, Ontario, to their winter home in Yuma, AZ. Also drove around Mexico, back when it was relatively safe to do so. Since that Canadian market truck didn't have any emissions controls, they could easily run it on Pemex gas.

Dad changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles max. He ran Chevron Delo 15W-40, a heavy duty oil, in that 302. The folks were both gone by 2001 when I sold the truck. It had around 400,000 miles on it, never burned a drop of oil, and thanks to spending winters in AZ, even looked new. Guy who bought it actually intended to do the same, drive back and forth to a winter home in Mesquite NV.

Seriously now, how "expensive" is it to do routine maintenance on a car? A beancounter might say "very expensive" but they like passing the buck anyway, thank you very much Enron and Madoff. I say: "oil and filter is dirt cheap compared to the cost of a new motor"

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
My preference is between 1500 and 2K miles. But my engines 1 is older and the other is very high mileage (372K). Newer engines I would not go over 3k even on synthetic oil. I do believe the oil today can and does last longer in our engines but the filters can only handle so much before they go into bypass mode.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will agree, especially with the new direct injected motors. These motors, like in my new Impala, offer incredible power for their displacement, and reasonable fuel economy. However, there is also concern for fuel dilution and - especially in short trip operation - soot in the oil.

I figure better safe than sorry. I change the oil and filter at least every 3 months, often with the OLM claiming 50-60% left at around 3,500 miles, and the oil is BLACK.

When was the last time you had a gasoline motor turn the oil black with under 4,000 miles on it? Some would argue that color is no indication of oil life, I feel differently.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Most newer cars do not need the oil changed in 3k miles, that is such on old myth it isn't even funny anymore. Considering how well they are sealed up, and how clean they run , just what do you think is clogging a filter up in that short amount of time?...Cut one of your old ones open and see what's going on instead of guessing...better yet have an oil analysis done and see what is REALLY going on. Hell, I knew an old guy that worked in the oil industry decades ago, never changed his oil, changed the filter every 6 mon. & added whatever it took to fill it to the full line on the dipstick. He never had a problem with 170k miles on his Rambler Ambassador. Most of you are just throwing $$$$ away, but, WTF, it's your $$$$. You have an indicator that tells you when to change it, you have a manual that tells you when to change it, but I guess you guys know better than the people that built the cars anyway. Hell GM will replace your motor if you only go by the OLM and have a oil related failure.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ True oil does NOT need to be changed every 3-5k miles but, it's a safe thing to do. Engines are not built (GM) like they used to be. Throwing money away? Nope. I'd rather change my oil more frequently than required than rebuilding my engine. Rebuilding an engine due to poor oil IS throwing your money away. What gets oil dirty? Friction inside the engine. Or how about the fact that you are burning fuel that god knows what is mixed in with it. Who knows what the quality of fuel is like at different fuel stations. Sure a gas station may claim "cleaner" fuel but, how do you know? Do you inspect your fuel or fuel tank for that matter? Didn't think so. Or how about the fact that you might be sucking in dirty air whether it be a dirty filter, air leak in intake, or vacuum leak? All of these factors will cause dirty oil.

Reactions: Old Bones

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Also older engines like my Impala or higher mileage such as my van can/may be allowing more combustion gases past the rings which builds up as sludge. Yes changing my filter more often does cost me a few bucks but in the long term my oil changes are much cheaper than having a oil change place change every 3k miles.

And for me I spend less than 20 per year for both vehicles by changing my filters more often than my oil. Which in the long run actually nets a bigger savings compared to every 3k oil and filter change.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, with direct injected gasoline motors, it seems they are getting harder on oil than ever. GM did have to reflash the newer direct injected motors so the OLM comes on much sooner.

-------

Date: 02/09/2011
Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

DCS2552

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: February 9, 2010

Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program
Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

Models: 2007 GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK
2007-09 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia,
Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with a HFV6 Engine

To: All GM Dealers

Attention: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager,
Used Vehicle Sales Manager, and Warranty Administrator

General Motors is announcing Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 today. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 383,000. Please see the attached bulletin for details.

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program will be administered in phases. The first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles. You will be notified when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the vehicles.

Customer Letter Mailing

The customer letter mailing will begin on February 15, 2011, for Cadillac customers.

Global Connect (GWM)

The "Investigate Vehicle History" (GMVIS 2) link on the Global Warranty Management (GWM) application within GlobalConnect will be updated February 9, 2011, with Cadillac VINs.

Campaign Initiation Detail Report (CIDR)

The CIDR will be available February 11, 2011, for the Cadillac vehicles.

END OF MESSAGE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message Attachment(s):
10287 bulletin.pdf Acrobat PDF (77.17KB) 10287

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
SUBJECT: Premature Timing Chain Wear – Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with HFV6 Engine

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program is being administered in
phases. This first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles only. You will receive a dealer
message when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the
vehicles.

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2013.

CONDITION
On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac
CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn
OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with
extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the
illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year
Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia;
and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and
will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or
sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved
vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several
states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a Customer Satisfaction
Program that affects 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year
Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia;
and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a V6 engine.

Your vehicle was designed and built to meet GM's high standards for quality and reliability.
However, we have determined that under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil
change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the
Service Engine Soon light. Timing chain wear can be affected by the age of the engine oil and
driving conditions.

What We Will Do:
To ensure that your vehicle will not experience this condition, your GM
dealer will change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life
monitor, which in most cases will recommend more frequent oil changes. This calibration
change will be performed for you at no charge until February 28, 2013.

What You Should Do:
To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact
your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

------

With early used oil analysis reports of the oil being pretty badly trashed BEFORE the OLM indicates an oil change, I will play it safe and do 3 month, 5,000 mile maximum oil and filter changes.

As I pointed out above, over 20 years of driving, frequent oil and filter changes are insignificant compared to the cost of a worn or sludged motor out of warranty. The excess soot in the oil that results from a direct injected gasoline motor is much more of a problem in a cold climate like mine than in a more moderate climate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess I'm still amazed that somebody will drop +$20 grand on a car, then suddenly try to find ways to get cheap with maintenance. On a monthly basis, my anal form of maintenance works out to a whopping $25 a month. Maybe $35 if I throw in a few more things I do.

A MONTH

So let's see, most people eat out often, we do 2 times a week so $80 a week right there. Order coffee while at work, that's $2-$5 a day right there. How long does 15 cans of beer last you? Lasts me not quite 15 days, and up here around $26 for those 15 cans of cheap beer.

If people can't budget say $30 a month, or a dollar a DAY, to maintain their car, they shouldn't be driving a car. Ride a bicycle.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well, with direct injected gasoline motors, it seems they are getting harder on oil than ever. GM did have to reflash the newer direct injected motors so the OLM comes on much sooner.

-------

Date: 02/09/2011
Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

DCS2552

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: February 9, 2010

Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program
Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

Models: 2007 GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK
2007-09 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia,
Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with a HFV6 Engine
I have done many of these updates, lots of these models have been recalled more than once for this update and the direct injected version of the 3.6 didn't come about until 2009. I have also replaced many timing chains for wear due to lack of proper oil changes. The use of Dexos has helped to minimize the wear. GM is also now recalling 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse; 2010-2012 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain; and 2011-2012 Buick Regal Equipped with 2.4L Engine for the OLM as well. GM still can't quite get the OLM to calculate the oil life right yet..

in; and 2011-2012 Buick Regal Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LAF/LEA)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sounds more like cheap timing chains to me. I would think that bearings & cam & lifters would be effected before the chains.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts