Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It needs some body work and I'd assume a complete overhaul for the engine. Also, I've never done anything like this so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If th engine # match go for it and spare no expenses on the body work. I have a 1964 SS 409 with air,auto,pwr sterring,pwr brks ,pwr wdws and locks . $40,000 spent on correct restoration and it is worth $200,000 + $

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well body wise it really depends on what is under the paint.

As far as rust
repairs made prior
bondo
dents
thin metal

You wont reallt know until you strip off the old paint.

If the floor trunk and 1/4 panels are in good shape, the rest of the car is probably good too

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you're really, really good with tools and your hands, I'd suggest you don't try it. Even though I would ordinarily say, "Go for it!" to anybody who needs help restoring, reworking and/or modifying any old car, since you're asking about "costs" rather than the actual work, I am assuming you're in over your head. Forget about it and either pay for a professional or sell it to someone who knows what they're doing! Sorry to throw a wet blanket on your fun, but it is not for the "faint of heart" to restore a vintage automobile. Body work alone is a skill that you have to be taught, not learned by trial and error and as for the engine rebuild? I'd just buy a crate engine and drop it in, rather than rebuild an unknown entity. Thanks for the two points. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts