Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replaced the oil filter.?
i put 5 and a half quarts in just trying to make sure. the problem is i didnt use a funnel so i spilt just a tad bit. after driving it around the block a couple times at high rpm's and than opening the hood there was a little smoke coming off the header that i spilt the oil on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
pretty sure it is five quarts. put five and check the stick to see if you need more.
The problem with that is if you change the oil filter then without starting the engine, you are taking an inaccurate reading.

I would fill it up with the five quarts. Knowing that the filter is empty, if the dip stick is a little beyond the full hashmarks, you should be OK.

I would start the engine to fill the new oil filter and check it again in a few hours. If its in the normal operating range on the dipstick your fine.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
lol.... Well I suppose you cant do worse than jiffy lube.... The LT-1 B-body takes 5 whole quarts without priming the oil filter. If you prime the filter, just use the remaining oil in that quart bottle and the other four to fill and your done. No big deal here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts