Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The impala has been sitting in my grandparents garrage for a while now and only recently stopped running. It has about 64,000 miles on it and the interior needs some work but there is virtually no body work to be done. I was also thinking about getting a new paintjob. The engine is a 327 V8 and i would like to do some engine work on it too. I'm not looking to race or show this car i just would really like to fix it up with my dad and have a nice old car to drive around. Any help is appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
interior/paint
do it yourself less then 2k
have a shop do it 5-8k

engine
do it yourself 1-2k
have a shop do it 3-7k

as with any work the more you do out of the shop the more you can save
ie if you dont know how to rebuild the engine or the interior pulling the parts yourself can save a good amount of labor

and pulling out the engine/interior out of that car is not that hard and is something a beginner can do with some research and manuals

goodluck

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this resto will be cheaper than most.... the body work and paint is always the expensive part

·
Registered
26 Posts
It all really depends on where you live as far as upholstery and paint... I can have a car painted candy where I live for less than 3 stacks...
The most expensive thing IMO is replacing original parts. There is not too much stuff offered in the impala catalogs for this year and when you do find them, they are kind of expensive compared to other models. For some reason there are not a lot of reproduction parts for the 68 and 61 impalas (at least from my experience).

·
Registered
6 Posts
It all really depends on where you live as far as upholstery and paint... I can have a car painted candy where I live for less than 3 stacks...
The most expensive thing IMO is replacing original parts. There is not too much stuff offered in the impala catalogs for this year and when you do find them, they are kind of expensive compared to other models. For some reason there are not a lot of reproduction parts for the 68 and 61 impalas (at least from my experience).
Are the 70 impalas in the same boat?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 70 impalas can also be hard to get parts for. The more popular ones are what they call the 'glass house' impalas or caprices. I want to say they are usually from 1974 to 1976 (although they could include more years). The thing with the 'newer' impalas is that they are not as popular as the 63's and 64's so less things are reproduced and many found their way into the crusher.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The first car I ever bought was a '68 Imp and maybe that's why they are still my favorite. I still say that overall they are superior cars to my 1992.

The OP is way old, but I'd snap a 65K mi '68 up in a second, especially a rust free one. I wouldn't assume you'd have to spend thousands rebuilding it and thousands painting. The best advice I've seen on painting a car was from that guy on YouTube who said you could get a great paintjob, doing it yourself, for about $150. An engine with 65Kmi could still have years left on it, but it is 40+ years old and seals wear out...

The 68's were real popular with customers but not with modders, so there's not the following that other years have. But lots of parts fit from other years and parts like fuel pumps etc... are ridiculously cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts